Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congestion Charge in London

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Congestion Charge in London

Please can someone advise me.
I have to go to Victoria Coach station to collect some friends staying in a Hotel nearby.
Will I have to pay the congestion charge?
How much is it?
where/how do I pay it?
Thanks

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Congestion Charge in London

you can avoid the charge by careful routing.  you'll need a map.  there are several roads, which act as 'rivers' through the charge zone, park lane being one.  you may find vauxhall bridge road and the roads leading to victoria station are also outside the zone, but it is essential to check.
you may find this helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_congestion_charge#Area_covered_by_the_charge
good luck.  the congestion zone is another good reason to give up driving.
Community Veteran

Yes, I have done a "google" on it now.... and find that there is a "free route" through the zone, unfortunately, Victoria Coach station is about quarter a mile off that route. and anyway, I doubt if there would be any parking for sufficient length of time to collect them and walk them back.... Might be cheaper to pay the charge.
I have only been to London 4 or 5 times in my life, and hated it every time..... well before the congestion charge....
Whenever anyone wants me to go there, I do everything I can to "avoid it like the plague".  unfortunately this time I shall have to take the plague !  Undecided
jmd
Grafter

I would suggest that the people you have to pick up get another bus which will take them out of the congestion charge area - then you won't have to worry about it! Smiley
Fixes: 104

What time does their bus come in? Tell them to get a later / earlier bus and avoid the congestion times..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

They are staying in a Hotel just round the corner for a couple of days, to "do" London, before I pick them up...
so the timing is not a factor... They will want picking up after "chucking out time" about 10 a.m. is usual, so can`t avoid it really.
jmd
Grafter

shutter - read my reply3 - get them on a bus before you pick them up!