Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about electric? We should be.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Confused about electric? We should be.

Electric scooters on pavements not good, so pleased to read here that they are in fact illegal not only on pavements, but anywhere other than on private land. 

But then mobility scooters seem to be on the increase as do electric bikes, and according to that article they are covered by a different set of rules - so is it a case of two wheels bad, four wheels good...err, two wheels good again.

What with these things, and cars half on or blocking off them completely, the sanctity of the pavement is going fast into the past.    

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused about electric? We should be.

I recall a while back having parked the car I was walking from the car park to the main street when I heard a whine behind me, by the time I’d reacted and turned to see what the source was this youth went whizzing past me on a ‘hover board’ giving me a bit of a start. It was quite an experience as I hadn’t seen him in the car park and he was shifting on this thing. But as he tried to negotiate the bollards at the end of the pedestrian path he nudged one of them ejecting him from the board on to the tarmac but in the process the corner of his shirt caught the bobble on top of bollard snagging it and tearing quite a chunk out of it as he went down.

As a fan of schadenfreude it made by day, not because I’d been a ‘victim’ but in my opinion he shouldn’t have been there, these things are best suited to a flat surface and rely on the passengers ability to steer these and driving them on a pavement is simply reckless.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:But then mobility scooters seem to be on the increase as do electric bikes, and according to that article they are covered by a different set of rules

Is everyone that uses a mobility trike really entitled to use them? It says in the blurb 

Who is allowed to use a mobility scooter?

If you aren’t disabled, you can only drive a mobility scooter if you are demonstrating the vehicle before it’s sold, training a disabled user or taking the vehicle to or from maintenance or repair.

They should try telling that to several young people in Gainsborough. While parked up, one went by me and stopped at a local shop. Young lad driving it hops off, walks into shop, comes out with a couple of bags of shopping, which got placed inside the trike. And he just hopped back on and off he drove back the way he'd come. Not the only one I've seen being misused either.

I do sometime think they are not the blessing that some might think. Maybe it's just the way I look at some people but some might get more exercise if they walked. Yes, it might be difficult at first but exercise is good. At least that is what my local NHS says.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@idonno I know three people personally who you could say that about - IF you weren't aware of their not obvious physical condition.

Those three can all walk for short distances, but no way can they stay on their feet safely or comfortably for more than 5-8 minutes.

John
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@jab1 I've no doubt there are people like that but some, I don't know. They seem to hop in and out easy enough while shopping in the local supermarket to reach items out of reach etc.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

They may appear to be able to do this, @idonno , but at what cost? One of three I referred to is my 'other half' - she can, and does, reach for hard to get items, but needs to lie down, unmoving, for a good couple of hours on returning home. Many people with 'concealed' disabilities do more than they should - often to avoid the kind of comments you are making being directed at them.

John
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@jab1 

I agree, many people may have a medical condition that is not obvious, interesting case in the paper today where a young lady was berated by others for using a disabled toilet, what they did not know was that she had a ileostomy , guess there are many people who may need to go urgently due to some bowel or bladder problem.

Getting back to the main topic a lot of young people on holiday in Spain and other countries were hiring the scooters to zoom along the promenade, I wonder if the laws there are similar to the laws here, cannot be long before someone gets hurt.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

I had similar reactions using disabled toilets to change a stoma....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Almost impossible to determine but I'll bet you a pound to a penny that both enabled and disabled take advantages to which they are not entitled either morally or physically. Both can be selfish, self centred and disregarding of others. Why should it be otherwise?

Allowances are not rights regardless.

PS. Shopping trolleys left just anywhere after loading up the car! Grrr. Knuppel

Champnet
Champion

That’s a very broad condemning statement...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed, but am I right or wrong in your opinion.

Champnet
Champion

Regrettably you’re probably right....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

As my old Dad said to me once, as you go through life son you will find there are pigs on both sides of the fence, and regrettably he was right as well - but it took me some years to realise it. Sad

Champnet
Champion

As things could get messy my Wife would help with changing my Stoma’s bag. What would you think if you saw a fit & healthy looking couple going in or out of the disabled toilets ? Would you be right ? Many onlookers weren’t.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

If only we could know what issue others had, but as said it's almost impossible to determine so in the absence of anything else we make a judgement on what we see and observe often getting it wrong. For example I have been hard of hearing ever since I was a very small child and it's and affliction others are totally blind to with the result that folks have made snap judgements about my abilities and even my character. 

Inattentive, a bit slow... gormless.

Well no, I just couldn't hear very well, so I can understand where you coming from @Champnet as regards to onlookers and observers who know nothing other than what they think they see. 

One comment that did make me smile though was about a guy with disabled badge on his car being berated for parking in an unreserved spot . "Hey, you should be parking in the disabled bay mate. Blimey, next thing we know you'll be wanting to use the normal toilets!"