Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computers %$&x@"

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Computers %$&x@"

Damn thing threw a severe wobbly over weekend- Nothing I tied would let me boot up, so it was a complete reset.

Then that meant signing on; I had't of course got access to my old Hotmail details to log on,so had to create a new Outlook account, of which  I promptly forgot the password!Ticked off

Took ages finding out how, and reloading programs and data.

But you lucky people, I'm back now!Cheesy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
156 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Computers %$&x@"

I guess a few forum users have been in that position with a computer that fails to boot.

Always happens when you have little time to sort it out.

It does not take long to download a free recovery program that you then burn a iso to disk so any future problems you just boot from the disk.

Not sure which is the best/easiest program to use but there are  number of forum members who can advise you.

It's really worth doing, it can be a right pain having to reinstall all your programs from scratch

Luzern
Pro

There lay the problem! I did have a tested,as I recalled, boot disk, which for whatever didn't work!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

As much as possible I always keep my data on a disk separate from the programs/OS disk drive. Add to this monthly backup and automatic immediate offsite/cloud copies (sugarsync) of any changed data files. If you get to the point where you have to reformat the C: drive or it dies, the recovery process is a lot easier.

If I buy expensive software, I always keep a copy of the download file, and preferably a CD/DVD version too.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
quickbrew
Rising Star

Hello @Luzern,

I know how infuriating it can be when you forget a password.
Some time ago I came up with the idea of saving passwords in simple text files as I have have multiple email addresses and many online accounts for various services and purchases.

The big security issues with this I hear you all crying - is if anyone gets access to my PC then they could find all my passwords.

I don't know how this would work on a Mac PC but on Windows (in my case 10) all you need to do is - create a text file with your account/login details, save it with a meaningful name like "Plusnet. txt" and then zip it up using your favourite zip/compression program.

Zip each text file containing your particular user name and password for a, b, c, accounts, using the option to 'ENCRYPT' whilst compressing. You will be asked for a 'PASSWORD' to do this, so you can decrypt the file at later date before you can read it again.

I must have at least 30 of these individuals account login/password text files all zipped up in the one vault with my encrypted user names and passwords for all the various accounts which all have different email addresses, user names and passwords for each one and which I could never remember.

I use the one 'same password' for decrypting each text file held in the vault, so if I forget my "Plusnet login" , for example, I look for my "Plusnet.txt" and when I click it I am asked for the decryption password (common to all the text files in the vault) - which is much easier to remember as you only have the one master password to think of/remember, because it is the same for every individual zipped document held in the compressed vault.

Hope I have managed to explain this in an understandable manner. If you are worried about forgetting your decryption password, you can always bury a copy of it in the properties of the vault itself.

You can hide the vault anywhere on your PC in any folder any partition and even hide it completely by making it invisible to Windows if if you want to, and find it again quickly, simply by typing its name in the search bar.

I personally am content to have a shortcut to my own encrypted password list on my desktop shown with a customised icon. The icon in my case has the common vault password hidden it its properties so if I forget that as well, I can retrieve it by drilling down into the icon properties.

Of course, as has already been pointed out, if you don't regularly back up your data and you lose access to your PC then you really are in serious trouble if like me you have 30 or more passwords and cannot longer access them.

Hope this is useful.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity.
An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Fixes: 121

@quickbrew

I have a similar system to yourself except that many forum passwords I don't bother to encrypt as they hold no real identifiable data nor financial information.

The main thing is finding a way to get the necessary passwords to SWMBO should the time come but it is a subject she still refuses to discuss.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I keep meaning to create myself a password manager but keep forgetting! Thats something I need to do.. luckily I remember most of my passwords but if push came to shove i could be in trouble with one or two accounts i have out there.

Reading this thread has made me also realise that my live boot disk is over 13 years old so I really should get another as i doubt it will even run on many modern machines now..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
quickbrew
Rising Star

@Mav

Lol. SWMBO is a subject all on its own 🤕😬😱

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity.
An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Infinity
Pro

quickbrew wrote:
Hello @Luzern,

I know how infuriating it can be when you forget a password.
Some time ago I came up with the idea of saving passwords in simple text files as I have have multiple email addresses and many online accounts for various services and purchases.

The big security issues with this I hear you all crying - is if anyone gets access to my PC then they could find all my passwords.

I don't know how this would work on a Mac PC but on Windows (in my case 10) all you need to do is - create a text file with your account/login details, save it with a meaningful name like "Plusnet. txt" and then zip it up using your favourite zip/compression program.

I just enter all my passwords into an Excel Spreadsheet, and save password protected.

This is then stored in an encrypted folder, this works for text files also.

This folder can be hidden.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

For several years I have been using Lastpass. Works on M$, Linux, Mac, Android etc.
It keeps all my logins safe offsite, with a local copy. I even pay for the full version! ($12/year)

I have tried several others, but either they don't work on Linux or they don't work on Android (my 2 main platforms), so keep with Lastpass.

As to Hotmail didn't it have a recover password to an alternate email, Gmail does.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I also use LastPass and have done for about 9 years now. Very secure and worth the yearly subscription. Not too keen on storing a file on a physical drive somewhere. If the drive dies and I had not got a recent backup then I'd be out of luck. There is also the matter of keeping it up to date.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Buy a small notebook and write your passwords in it, then stick it in your drawer of many things, that way your passwords are safely stored, are immune to hacking, and nobody'll think to look in a notebook for them in a drawer if they stole your computer... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

That's fine if you are at home, what if you are out and about or in a cyber cafe? No password then.
With LP I can just log into their web site and click through from there, nothing is downloaded to the temp computer.

I also find my handwriting hard to read sometimes ;-)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

HairyMcbiker wrote:
That's fine if you are at home, what if you are out and about or in a cyber cafe?

Cyber cafe? They're still a thing? Funny

Luzern
Pro

HairyMcbiker wrote:
For several years I have been using Lastpass. Works on M$, Linux, Mac, Android etc.
It keeps all my logins safe offsite, with a local copy. I even pay for the full version! ($12/year)

I have tried several others, but either they don't work on Linux or they don't work on Android (my 2 main platforms), so keep with Lastpass.

As to Hotmail didn't it have a recover password to an alternate email, Gmail does.

But until I could get in to Windows none of that was available to me.