cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Hook-up Question

Tsonga
Grafter

Computer Hook-up Question

I am off to the States in a few weeks for work. The hotel I will be staying in advertises 1) Computer Hook-up in all rooms 2) Free Wireless High Speed Internet Access within the hotel.
I wonder whether there is any point in taking my laptop with me (I would like to stay in touch with my husband using MSN Messenger). What does "Computer Hook-up" mean? And is my UK Wireless card likely to work with US WiFi?
Thanks for your help!
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Computer Hook-up Question

Your wi-fi card will work in the US, the standards are the same world over.
Hook up is either an ethernet point or a telephone point for a modem. But as you have a wireless card I wouldn't worry about it.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks for the ultra quick answer! I'm glad to know I will be able to use wifi to connect over there!  Smiley
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

I'd take an ethernet cable anyways, WiFi signals within the actual rooms of hotels have a habit of being really week because the hoteliers focus on the comunal areas when placing the WAP's and Relays.
Just my thoughts on it
Community Veteran

Also, I'm not certain about this, but isn't there some variation in WiFi standards in different countries - something to do with the channels if I recall correctly?
Community Veteran

Don't know about that that but there won't be a problem in the US.
Community Veteran

Just done some googling and it seems that channels 12 and 13 can't be used in the US, so I guess that's something to be aware of when using European WiFi equipment over there.
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks for all the advice!  Smiley