Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer HDD PDF's clearout

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Just done my occasional iMac PDF's clearout.
Using EasyFind, I searched for .pdf, sort by size, found 5,457 pdf's !!!
Only 160+ are > 1mb in size.
The vast majority are way less than 100KB
Deleted duplicates of the larger files.
Today, I manually deleted just 10 dupe pdf's, total size 124mb, not a lot in 500GB, but a saving anyway. Auto dupe delete messes things up I find.

Normally, when I download a pdf, singly, or part of a package, I immediately export using Quartz Filter... Reduce File Size. I insert a space in the file title.
Some compromise on image quality sometimes, but also occasionally the "reduced " file size is much larger than the original file size !!
A list of remaining larger PDF's after dupe removal. (Mostly dupe manuals installed as packages are opened.)

All in all, a useful, cleansing experience. Well worth doing.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Computer HDD PDF's clearout

I don't tend to keep them unless I am going to reference them again, I will view then delete them.
Just did a search on my pc, the majority are in /usr/doc/share - so manuals etc.
Very few in my main home folder, now epubs that a different matter  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Gotta be honest it doesn't worry me much as I can fit all my stuff on a 500GB drive many times over. What worries me more is being able to find the files I need so I have to have folders that are named by subject etc but of course there comes a time when you end up with a full desktop of stuff that hasn't been put away lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Spotlight on my iMac is brilliant at finding things, only problem is you have to spell the item correctly, letter by letter, but it usually finds it before I complete the word.
It's a bit like Google for the computer, I presume PC's have a similar search function ?
On my desktop I have a folder I call... To Read / To Do, most stuff goes in there until I apportion it to the relevant folder elsewhere.