Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compulsory vaccination.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Compulsory vaccination.

Well I doubt anyone would agree with compulsory vaccinations but some employers might add it to interview questions and move staff who refuse the vaccination to areas where they will not come in contact with the public.

Are we on the edge of a social divide ?

Employers might say we have a duty under the health and safety act to protect our employee’s and the public from harm, social distancing and masks cannot continue for ever so what other way is there to ensure those who refuse the vaccine do not pass it on to others ? And what of those working in care homes, hospitals etc with high levels of elderly and vulnerable patients....

Any opinions....

We are born into history and history is born into us.
23 REPLIES 23
Mook
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Compulsory vaccination.

@gleneagles wrote:

Are we on the edge of a social divide ?.

We fell of that particular precipice centuries ago.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

In the short to medium term this is how it's going to be I'm afraid and no compulsion either and if there is, then it's only by implication. The employer and an indeed the individual has an absolute right in my opinion to protection from those who think their right to infect others outweigh those who wish to remain safe.

It's the age old question of course, but as far as any employer is concerned, 'them's the rules' and those are the responsibilities regardless of any health and safety legislation.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

"Worker s have a duty to take care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your actions at work. Workers must co-operate with employers and co-workers to help everyone meet their legal requirements ."

Source: HSE

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Employees as well?

Now that's worth reminding ourselves of.

Good post 👍 

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

Are we on the edge of a social divide ?

I'm afraid we're all already divided over so many different things already. It's very hard to find anyone that can agree on more than 2-3 views these days. Even then peoples views change over time for better or worse.

I want the vaccination however i don't trust it due to the lack of long term data. Yes I don't doubt that it works but nobody really knows what long term effects it may or may not have. Scientists rarely admit that they were wrong so when they say it's safe, can we be sure?

The queen recently indicated that those who don't take it are selfish. That's a bit much considering the amount of wealth and property she has - especily when her government won't even make it available to everyone who does want it but instead the selected few.

But the covid passports. I heavily dislike the idea - I completely hate it. Yes i've watched too many distopian films (who hasn't?) and i really don't like the power that a vaccination passport will give people over our lives - but.. (and you'll be surprised that i say this) what other choice do we have? - None. The vaccination passports are IMO, a necessary tool to help us defeat this problem - even though i hate the idea.

As draconian as this country can be, we're nowhere near as bad as countries like China, Russia, North Korea etc who all want complete and utter control over every aspect of it's peoples lives. Compared to those countries, ours is wonderful - even though it's an utter back stabbing pain in the butt at times - and usually to the most vulnerable.

But compulsory vaccination? I'm not keen on that. I think the uptake would be a lot higher if it remains voluntary - people will be more trusting of it. The moment it becomes compulsory people will question the real reason the government wants everyone to have it - they'll also start seeing cloak and dagger conspiracies in it and the uptake will fall despite it being compulsory.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One things for sure about any sort of covid piece of paper. Like other licences / passports it will be a real money earner for the government.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Add to that, any sort of compulsion is just going to make those unsure about having it deciding not to. 

I'll volunteer, but I'll not be conscripted whatever the cause. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:

One things for sure about any sort of covid piece of paper. Like other licences / passports it will be a real money earner for the government.

Good money earner for the fraudsters as well.

😀

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

@billnotben 

Add to that, any sort of compulsion is just going to make those unsure about having it deciding not to. 

During the last war there were those who refused to be conscripted for various reasons and I guess they were really made to suffer for it......In some ways you could say we are at war with a virus which has cost over 100,000 lives, continues to kill people and may never go away so the government could well impose restrictions on those who refuse to have the vaccine but in a indirect way by requiring a pass to be shown for entry into certain venues including shops and refusing employment in the absence of a pass.....so no compulsion to get vaccinated but the cost could be high to the individual and even more so to his or her family.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 71

Personally, I can't see what the fuss is about. We already have routine injections/medication against measles/mumps/rubella and other highly contagious diseases, along with the (optional) flu jab, and no-one complains.

Okay, so this is a new vaccine, but I am fairly certain those others were at sometime, and yet they were accepted as a necessity. I bet the trials/testing of those earlier vaccines was nowhere as stringent/competent as today's are.

John
madswitcher
Rising Star

I don't know what all the fuss is about either, vaccination passports/certificates have been around for years: I used to have to travel into Russia and eastern Europe quite a lot in the 80s and 90s and had a small medical passport to carry around with me itemising all my jabs, blood type, allergies etc.  On one or two occasions I was very glad to have had it with me. 

There is probably space in the 'electronics' part of the normal passport to hold such information already.

Cheers

Mike

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I was talking to a friend of mine, I booked my appointment today. Having had seizures I was allowed to. I don't want to feel like I am taking advantage, just I will once I am given an 'all clear' warning, which I had. Of course I booked it.

First jab is on Wednesday. I was thinking of a better way of saying that term, but I would get told off. So I'll leave it there.

Not looking forward to Wednesday, put it that way. Also I have to travel a bit. Shame the pubs probably won't be open, as I would have a few in there. Oh well.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@madswitcher 

Yep, totally agree.

Don't know what all the fuss is about either. 

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

@billnotben 

<snip>by requiring a pass to be shown for entry into certain venues including shops and refusing employment in the absence of a pass.....so no compulsion to get vaccinated but the cost could be high to the individual and even more so to his or her family.

Despite really hating the idea, lets face it, it would dramatically impede the spread of it.

I don't really see that we have any other choice to be honest. If it wasn't for the fact tha ti live with a covid nurse i'd be very pro government conspiracy on all of this but the reality is i do live with a covid nurse, i've seen how devastating it is on her mental well being, i've heard the horror tales of the patients suffering and their deaths. It's no conspiracy, we're going to have to be stuck with tough restrictions for a long time.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!