cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compressed air

Fixes: 121

Compressed air

Our laptops are running a little hotter than I would like so am thinking of giving them a few squirts of compressed air over the vents.
Poundland have them for... £1. are these any good?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Compressed air

To be really effective it should blow the fluff and dust out of the case not into it
PowerLee
Rising Star

Might be an idea to use a vacuum cleaner with the soft bristle attachment over the vents to suck dust & fluff out.
Last time I had my HP NC 6000 laptop apart I removed the heat sink so I could remove all the clogged up dust & fluffy that was trapped in there.
Fixes: 121

I was thinking of having the vacuum cleaner pipe close by to immediately suck away any/all dust, etc that becomes dislodged using the compressed air.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As Jim says.... better to blow it OUT than IN....  can you remove the HDD, and blow the compressed air into the laptop via that area, with the hoover "wand" pipe as close to the exhaust vent as possible..
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

its only a £ so you get what you pay for  Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

As a former computer tech, those cans of air are useless (plus it's usually butane or something else flammable, you really don't want that!!), take your laptop apart and clean it out, the amount of laptops I've seen chock full of dust and dirt where people have blasted the heatsinks with those things and can't understand why they melted their CPU & GPU off the board is pretty sad...
Take the time to do the job properly, or get/pay someone to do it for you, otherwise you'll have nice big paperweight with smoke coming out of it... Smiley
Community Veteran

I've found a good blow often is good enough Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't get the nozzle too close to the electrics. Compressed air can generate static electricity as it blasts past the nozzle leading to tiny but CPU chip cooking sparks,
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

get a decent compressed air unit that's non flammable,
remove the cover from the ram /hdd housing and direct the nozzle from the inside towards the fans and give it a squirt, for maximum benefit have the hoover sucking from the outside of the fan vents and you should get most of the dust and debris blown back out of the machine(s)
much easier than taking the whole machine apart to clean it and of course means you still have pretty much the same end result.
done it this way myself for the last 5 years on the laptops in my house and a 2 hour job that often broke the keyboard is reduced to 5 minutes without any damage risks
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: nanotm
and of course means you still have pretty much the same end result.

Unless there's a big ol' ball of fluff that gets blown out of a corner and caught up in the fan, which taking the laptop apart would have removed, causing the CPU and GPU to melt, leaving you with an empty tin of air and a dead laptop... Cool
Seen it enough times, but still people don't listen (but makes money for independent computer shops!!)... Grin
nanotm
Pro

if the cpu melts its was already in need of replacing as the thermal cut-out is inoperable and probably other damage
the risk of damaging the laptop rendering it unusable is quite high when you take it apart (especially if its not something you do for a job) so should be avoided unless your replacing parts
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I would think an air blast and/or vacuum would work for a laptop that is cleaned regularly, but if it has never been done or a build up is suspected there's no alternative but take it apart and do the job properly.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I regularly blow out the system unit/keyboard with compressed air (2-3 times per year).
(take the sides off of the system unit - take outside, good squirt with the airline)