cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competition or Not

Fixes: 47

Competition or Not

Quote from: x47c
It is exactly the same as say B&Q and Screwfix.  They are both owned 100% by Kingfisher Group plc and serve the same market, with slight differences in emphasis between them, and hence compete against each other for business.

The above caught my attention because a year ago I went into B&Q for some M6 Cross Dowels. B&Q had them at £6.68 for a pack of 5
I went Screwfix across the road and they had them at £2.55 for 50.
I went back to B&Q and as I really only wanted 2 I asked Customer Services if they would price-match Screwfix (they had a price-match sign up).
I was told that as Screwfix was the same company as B&Q they couldn't do it.
I ended up a year later with a bag of 48 M6 Cross Dowels in a drawer.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Competition or Not

Some smart person has a nice-little-earner repackaging Screwfix dowels and re-selling to B&Q.

The woman at B&Q did say they had quite a large mark-up on hardware like nuts and bolts. Shocked
B&Q price
Screwfix price
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's a bit like expensive perfume, you're not really paying for the product, you're paying for the packaging.  Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

Then again the B&Q ones are freshly picked and packed.
The Screwfix ones are freeze dried so no telling how old they are.
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
I ended up a year later with a bag of 48 M6 Cross Dowels in a drawer.

You could always try flogging them on Ebay, given the prices on there, you'll make a tidy profit too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Whatever happened to 'proper' hardware shops where you could buy almost any nut, bolt, screw, fitting etc. either individually on 'by the pound'?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

we have one in Poole and it was great when I worked in the town centre but now when you add on car park charges and the extra petrol to get there it is much easier to go to B&Q or ScrewFix
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

We don't have ANY hardware stores locally. We have a B&Q and NO competition for hardware, my nearest SF is 40 miles away (each way). I order on-line as it is cheaper!
E.g. just wanted 4 (FOUR) SS M8 washers, B&Q have none, so got 20 online for £1 delivered.
Same with things like flux, B&Q silly price, SF reasonable but to far away.
Community Veteran

And ToolStation are even cheaper than B&Q and not related to them!
Geoff,
York.