cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compeed Blister Dressings - have you used them?

penneck
Grafter

Compeed Blister Dressings - have you used them?

Over the years, I have spoken to many people about using Compeed plasters, and many of them have said to warm the dressing before applying it. Now I may need to use them (I'm ramping up for a 26 mile hike when I haven't done any long walks for some years) I find that Compeeds instructions don't mention that, so do any of you have any guidance about how you warm them, please?

Thanks for any help

13 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Re: Compeed Blister Dressings - have you used them?

I use them for organised running events. Never warmed them up before application and they've always been fine. Just remember to leave them to peel away naturally, or risk pulling a layer of your skin off! Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

If I were you I'd put them in a zip lock bag and keep them in my pocket to get to and stay at body temperature, obviously you don't want to get them any hotter than you are due to the risk of burns so in my head this sound the most practical way.

penneck
Grafter

Thankyou Bob. Hopefully I wont need them, but best if prepared for the bad

penneck
Grafter

That sounds like a very good suggestion. Thankyou for that.

penneck
Grafter

Sorry. I should have written:-

"Thankyou Mook. That sounds like a very good suggestion. Thankyou for that."

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Compeed used (maybe still do) to sell a "lip cold sore" dressing. I guess a much smaller version of the dressing discussed here. Fortunately I don't get them but Mrs P used to, and like most women who suffer these things could get almost frantic about them.

I purchased the Compeed dressing for her, but sadly she could never get them to stay in place much more than a few minutes...they just fell off... so she went back to the Zovirax cream, but hated this just as much as it is almost as unsightly as the undressed cold sore when applied. I tried to ignore them as much as possible, but I got dark looks and accusations of being blind. I think she would have preferred pity and then wallow in her discomfort.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I heard somewhere that Zovirax needs to be applied from the first 'tingle' in order to avoid a full-blown outbreak.

penneck
Grafter

Hello petlew,

Compeed dressings falling off soon after application is what I was warned about, and the recommendation was to warm them before application. The trouble is I cannot remember just how they warmed them. I don't imagine they used an oven (joke). Hopefully, it's just a case of hold them in the hands for a few minutes to bring them to body temperature.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

apply to heel/toe... then warm in microwave oven ... remove before screaming.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
penneck
Grafter

owww..owww..owww...wrong foot

nanotm
Pro

apply zinc oxide tape to your feet before you set off and wear decent socks without seams preferably ones that wick the moisture away from the skin and after putting the zinc tape on powder the feet lightly (they might be expensive on short notice though), might sound daft and you can get a video of how to apply the tape on youtube but I've found it very useful over the years.

the compeed dressings work well though for if the zinc tape fails (if your feet end up soaked in sweat the tape lifts off and doesn't provide any protection.) best applied after rinsing the foot off with cold water, you can also get compeed stick to rub across soft areas to harden them up and try and stop blistering (not tried it since its relatively new)

both the compeed and the zinc tape will come off if you soak your feet in warm water for about an hour (long bath with muscle rub in works well, once your finished the event)

both my twins have used the zinc tape extensively over the last few years doing endurance marches and the training for them, and swear by it now as well, one of the few usefull things I could give them from many thousands of miles walked or un in the army Tongue

links to amazon search results for products to give an idea on prices and what's available, buy them from wherever your happiest doing so Tongue

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
penneck
Grafter

Thanks nanotm. Useful information. I have the socks. I'm assuming the powder is talcum powder (gunpowder should make for an interesting walk - exploding boots is reminiscent of the Goon Show). My next long training walk is tomorrow so will need to get the tape locally today if I can

Cheers

nanotm
Pro

chemist's should have it in stock,  boots or a local pharmacy maybe as for the foot powder talc is ok at a push but better is to get mycota foot powder, its expensive but you only use a tiny bit each time so a small tub should go a long way.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you