cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare the Comparison Site

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Compare the Comparison Site

I've just done a comparison of my car insurance since I got my renewal notice a few days ago.
I wasn't too surprised that I can save money compared with my renewal notice.
I wasn't even totally surprised that I could get exactly the same policy at a lower price.
I was surprised when I checked on another comparison site and the price (for exactly the same policy with the same insurer) was nearly another £30.00 less
The comparison sites ask mostly the same questions, some are slightly more detailed in specific areas but I'd have expected the information I entered to generate the same quotation on different sites.
Does the comparison site quote vary because the comparison sites have differing commissions added, or any other reason why they'd vary?
I'm not sure that I want to pay £30 more just to get a toy Meerkat!
So far I've compared moneysupermarket.com (best price), gocompare.com (slightly under £6 more expensive) and comparethemarket.com (nearly £30 more than moneysupermarket).
Does anyone know any other comparison sites for me to try to get an even cheaper quote (or direct sites likely to be competitive)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Compare the Comparison Site

Comparison sites are all based on commission, so whoever pays the most commission usually gets to the top of the list, even the MSE forum says to compare the comparisons, so, so as much as they claim to save time comparing prices, you still have to compare prices that ave been compared on a comparison site that's not exactly playing ball... Shocked
Fixes: 125

I sometimes use the comparison sites as a starting point but I find them difficult to really compare like for like.
What I now do is go direct to the company's websites and get quotes from there. I have often found them to be cheaper. Then I go through a Cashback site to get an even better value renewal.
I accept that it takes more time but, for me, it is worth the hassle.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

+1 to what Mav said.
I got my renewal £205.
Comparison sites between £150 @ £300
direct much the same as above.
Via topcashback to CIS for the lowest quote & (hopefully) £60 cash back (quote was £145).
Major PITA is the "admin" fee when changing something, had to change my car as the mot cost went ballistic, so that cost me ££'s on top of the new charges due to it being newer.
Aviva is good for ONE year, get the quote via topcashback or quidco, free changes via the web site, but the renewal's are costly (see above) I got £70 cash back last year, took a while but I did get it through.

Something else I do as soon as I get confirmation of cover is ring their freephone number and cancel autonenewal.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Autorenewal is another PITA, I thought it had been banned but not on car policies as you "must have continuous cover"
Community Veteran

Not all companies are available on the comparison sites. Aviva is one and I think Direct Line is another.
Community Veteran

& Churchill you also find that the quote you get via the site may NOT be accurate, once you visit the site and put all the details in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Just paid for my renewal, £210 from meerkat land, free toy on way https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LN6lPQ5DArY Cheesy
Community Veteran

Has anyone insured with RIAS? I wonder what they are like.
Community Veteran

The main issue with insurance companies is : You never know how good they are till you need to CLAIM and then it is too late.
I will never use a certain agency again, not after them crashing my car while it was being examined for repair, then writing it off. Never did get them to admit the damage, but did get a better payout after complaining severely & loudly.
Community Veteran

I've heard a few good things about RIAS. They weren't the cheapest, actually Churchill were much cheaper but I've heard mixed reports about them.
One thing a number of people have said is that all the companies are good on price initially but start increasing their premiums in future years. I guess the only way round this is to change companies every year Wink
Community Veteran

Thanks for all the replies / comments.
Yes, it looks like the best way to save money is to shop around every renewal, use a comparison site to find who's offering a reasonable deal then go direct to the insurer in question or try to find them on a cashback site.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

When I've completed my research I do return to my renewal figure and ring to give them a chance to match or beat what I have found. Sometimes they do but less frequently over the last few years.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Slightly off topic
I used a comparison site a few weeks ago to see if I could save money on my electricity and the best price they could come up with was actually significantly higher than the one I went for with SSE fixed for one year which I found by going direct to their site