cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companies begin moving production back to UK

Community Veteran

Companies begin moving production back to UK

'Companies begin moving production back to UK'
In the BBC interview with the Prime Minister yesterday jeremy Vine made a strong point that UK production is falling - buit no mention of this:
Manufacturers increasingly are moving production back to Britain as shoddy quality and higher freight prices are undermining the cost advantage of producing goods overseas.
A report into the state of the manufacturing sector by the EEF and BDO, the accountants, finds that one in seven companies surveyed had moved production back to the UK from abroad in the past two years
Many British manufacturers have outsourced production to countries with lower labour costs, in Eastern Europe or Asia, in the past decade, a trend that has accelerated as an increasing number of British companies have fallen into foreign ownership.
But higher freight, energy and commodity costs have increased the expense of production overseas, while the recession has put pressure on companies to re-evaluate decisions on location.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/industrials/article6971067.ece

This reminds me of years ago when I worked in the oil industry. Despite British workers being denegrated by some - it was warming to hear a Texan oil man - and very senior in his company say that when they spread production of platform modules around - the British built ones gave far less problems even though they may be slightly more expensive. I was in Spain and apparently the quality there was such that lots of rework was needed.
We hear the same in the car industry from the Japanese managements.
So lets stop knocking British - ( ok I do sometimes too ! )

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Companies begin moving production back to UK

Reminds me of the saying "You pay peanuts and get monkeys". It's all true isn't it.
Unfortunately though I must say this country places too much emphasis on targets. Call centres, sales people etc. It's not right because it pushes employees to cut corners and the customer ultimately looses.
Pay people a good wage, give them breathing space and you'll get more back in return. It's always been the way.
I'm glad more companies are slowly coming back home. Shame Mr Dyson probably won't as he was a real asset to this country. Genius that fella.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: okrzynska
Shame Mr Dyson probably won't as he was a real asset to this country. Genius that fella.

So much of a genius, that he designed one of the heaviest "hoovers" so that you needed to buy two................. one for upstairs, and one for downstairs..... now that IS genius !.  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Yeah, that ain't a bad point tbh but its a trade off I suppose.
We got a DC23 which isn't the heaviest of machines but at the same time its certainly not the lightest but we do get it up and down the stairs quite easily. It's also not as powerful as I imagined either but I'll give it credit it hasn't started to loose suction.... yet. I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time... (trust me I speak from experience).
Community Veteran

A problem I have with Dyson, is that they are so noisy - it's almost a case of needing a pair of ear defenders.......
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and you can four or five others for the same price.
What happened to Dyson patent.  They did Hover for heavy money several years ago, now every body seems to have bagless cleaners
Denzil
Grafter

I bought a Henry a little while ago. Soild, reliable, British made, and a third of the price of a Dyson. I'm not convinced the loss of suck is that big an issue. In a Henry the filter is large enough not to get locked that much, and even when it drops a bit there is still plenty of suck. Cyclone cleaners are also less efficient as all that spinning airflow needs more power.
Fixes: 47

Well I got suckered into buying a Dyson a couple of years ago (pun most definitely intended).
It now needs a new brush roller thingy but the suction is very good as I wash and dry the filter as recommended.
It does seem quite noisy though and as we all know making noise costs electricity.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
What happened to Dyson patent.  They did Hover for heavy money several years ago, now every body seems to have bagless cleaners

But not all bagless cleaners use the same cyclonic technology that Dyson has patented. I knew someone with another brands 'bagless' and it lost suction within 2-3 months and certainly didn't do any air spinning stuff inside. Notably though the other manufacturers still try the clear see-thru casing to make it look like the same thing.
Additionally someone who holds a patent can license other manufacturers to use their technology. I presume this may be the case if there are other cyclonic machines out there now. Hoover just put their own version into production thinking that they could get away with it. It was a good day when Dyson won that case as it showed large businesses which have a monopoly in their industry that they can not crush the competition out of the market.