cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication software?

garywood84
Grafter

Communication software?

I have a server running Windows Server 2003, with users logging in remotely via Terminal Services.
I want to implement a communications system similar to a forum, where users can post and reply to messages.
However, I'd like some kind of message window to display when users login, drawing attention to new messages, to make it easy for people to stay up-to-date.
Can anyone recommend and software that will let me do this?
Thanks,
Gary
3 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Communication software?

You could look at share point where you can be emailed of changes etc and or office live communication server, if you want to stick with MS software.
Will Moderate For Thanks
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I am a member of a forum using YaBB free software. I don't know how easy / difficult it is to administer but it allows RSS feeds / displays the x most recent messages posted / new message posted indicated on each board.  One can also be notified by email if a new topic is posted to a particular board or a new message added to a particular topic.
http://www.yabbforum.com/
Community Veteran

The software to create a forum like facility is to use the newsgroup facility in IIS which is free as you have the server and doesnt take any setting up. I dont think there is a way to send a message with it though.
You need to be more specific on your requirements getting message when you login can be a pain as you then have email as well. We used the newsgroups at Barclays  and it worked well if its important you will login to get the answer.
Its all down to what you want and how much you want to pay