cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comms companies no better than energy companies?

christmas
Grafter

Comms companies no better than energy companies?

PlusNet used to pride itself as being honest but since the Primark version of Jason Manford appeared on our TV screens thinks seem to have changed.
Looking at the various telecoms websites the last thing they seem to want customers to is the price of a product. Like the energy companies it can't be coincidence they all take the same approach. Also the trend for not changing the price but introducing a new product with a new name, so like the energy companies they generate a multitude of differently named accounts, why?
For example I have a 'value' account which my product pages states cost £7.99 a month or I 'upgrade' to an Essentials account with apparently the exactly same 10Gb allowance and unlimited overnight allowance for an EXTRA £2.50. On another page it states BT Sport is available to PlusNet broadband customers for just £5.99,and states all that is need is a Sky box. Does the box come free with BT Sport if not where do I get one for free? Or do they have to be bought and the cost of BT Sport isn't just £5.99 a month?
BT offered a £1.50 a month discount for people who went for paperless bills but about 2 years later they removed the discount. British Gas currently gives customers a 6% discount on their bills if the pay by Direct Debit but at what point will that discount be removed?
I could give similar examples from Sky, Talk Talk and other companies what it is about many companies they want your name, postcode, phone number or email when you simple want to compare prices. Imagine having to give your name and details before being allowed into Primark, BHS or M&S. Infact soon you won't be allowed to window shop without an ID.
What has got into the brains of these execs & manages?
4 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Comms companies no better than energy companies?

Quote from: christmas
On another page it states BT Sport is available to PlusNet broadband customers for just £5.99,and states all that is need is a Sky box. Does the box come free with BT Sport if not where do I get one for free? Or do they have to be bought and the cost of BT Sport isn't just £5.99 a month?

Using the same logic, do you expect Plusnet (or Sky) to provide a television for free as well? 
Plusnet annoyingly don't state that a computer is required to make use of their broadband service and that access to a power supply is required to run the necessary modem/router *at my cost*
Absolutely shocking Smiley
Fixes: 124

Quote from: christmas
Imagine having to give your name and details before being allowed into Primark, BHS or M&S. Infact soon you won't be allowed to window shop without an ID.

On this subject the many online stores that expect me to register for, what will probably be, a one-off purchase do not get my custom.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I ordered a gift for my missus moons ago from an online retailer. As soon as I'd ordered it they sent me an email saying that my order was an agreement to open a credit account, do credit searches, have a monthly service charge etc. Nothing mentioned about this in their ordering pages or the TOS so I rang them up and told them to stuff it. I only wanted one item not a barrage of legal terms and agreements to deal with. The company refused to cancel to which I promptly reminded them of my consumer rights regarding credit and cooling off periods and that I'd be reporting them to the financial services ombudsmen. Oddly enough they backtracked, cancelled and said they'd never trouble me again. Funny old world. Why on earth would they assume I wanted to open a credit account with them when I've just paid for my item instantly with a card online? - very bad attitude. Thing is if they had been straight and made an offer that I could accept or decline I wouldn't be bothered but they just went off on their sortie to enter me into a legal agreement I didn't want or ask for.
They lost my custom as a consequence.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The energy companies need some details before you can get a quote as the price they charge varies region by region (no idea why).
Plusnet need to know whether you're on a Market 1/2/3 exchange as their prices differ (due to different charges by BT Wholesale).
That said, why can't all companies have a clear link to a complete price list (some energy companies do).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.