cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commonwealth Games

Community Veteran

Commonwealth Games

The Commonwealth Games starts in Glasgow today with the opening ceremony this evening.  It's been billed as 'The Friendly Games'.
If it goes as well as London 2012 it will be a great success Cool Cool
The Friendly Games
Let the Games commence Smiley Smiley
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Commonwealth Games

Here's the schedule in PDF format - http://www.glasgow2014.com/sites/default/files/competition-schedule.pdf
The build up seems to have been very low key, no?
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yeah, I thought it was pretty low build up, certainly not as much as London 2012, for obvious reasons, I mean, the Commonwealth Games isn't as big as the Olympics, but still!
WTF
Grafter

Like we haven't had enough sport this summer already  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

If it has the same effect as London 2012 then it is well worth it. The feelgood factor from London 2012 is still being felt.
The opening ceremony is on BBC1 tonight at 8pm.
Community Veteran

I watched the first hour of the opening ceremony and then recorded the rest.
What I saw was unbelievably bad, and who was that woman in the kilt Undecided  OTT isn't the word for her. Whatever she was on don't give me any Wink Maybe the hour I've got on disc will be better.
At least we have the sport to look forward to now. Good luck to all the competitors Smiley
Opening Ceremony
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The best part was was the struggle to open the baton. When it was finally opened it seems that the Queen  left the sealed message sealed and read from a note that she already had in front of her.
Community Veteran

The first gold medal of the games has been won by England. It was won by Jodie Stimpson in the Triathlon Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

The win of the day yesterday was from Ross Murdoch who surprisingly won the 200m Breaststroke. Nobody was more surprised than he was.

Ross Murdoch
A good win Smiley Smiley
Fixes: 47

13 year old Bronze Winner

A 13 year old Scottish girl has just won bronze in the 100 metres breaststroke.
Are there any younger competitors?
http://results.glasgow2014.com/event/swimming/sww329101/womens_100m_breaststroke_sb9_final.html
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The medal totals at the end of tonight.
Medal Total
Very good performance from England so far Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Leaving aside the inane wittering of so-called sports pundits and stand-in presenters during down-time between some events. I know it goes against the grain these days, but the BBC is to be congratulated for the coverage of the sports during the first week anyway.
Personally I've been following the bowls and squash and some indoor track cycling and swimming for Mrs P.
Notwithstanding comments in another thread on squash, the TV coverage for this very difficult sport to make look half-decent on-screen has been brilliantly accomplished, with some well placed cameras really getting you inside the court with the players.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's a shame (as due to the people living with me at the moment) access to my own TV is nigh on impossible, as I'd really like to watch the games. Sad
I did manage to see a bit of athletics last night, and having watched it in real life before you appreciate it more (if that makes sense).
Community Veteran

I think the same can be said with any sport - real life always gives you a better perspective than TV.
I've enjoyed watching the cycling, squash, swimming and also the triathlons. I'm looking forward to the athletics now.
randpwar
Grafter

Table Tennis (my sport  Smiley) Men's Gold medal game between England and Singapore about to commence
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/commonwealth-games/28245305