cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commercial breaks and Kettles..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Commercial breaks and Kettles..

ITV seem to have done away with the black and white cube thing in the corner forewarning you of adverts however this whole thing has bugged me for many years.

Does anybody actually have a kettle that could boil within a commercial break? - Quick enough for you to make a hot drink and get back without missing anything?

(Yes it's an odd topic.. i'm just watching a TV show about who wants to be a millionaire when a clip of Clarkson came up saying the national grid needs to get ready for a kettle surge - and that's what made me think about this issue once more and post here).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
22 REPLIES 22
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Commercial breaks and Kettles..

Haven’t tried it but you can probably boil a kettle during the BBC ads....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Advert breaks "used to be" limited to 1 minute per 15 mins programme transmission time...  then it was increased to 2 mins. now it seems to be more like 3 mins... certainly after the ITV weather and before Emmerdale starts  ( supposed to be 19:00) there is plenty of time to put the kettle on, make a pile of sarnies and get settled before Emmerdale starts... You will then have about 11 minutes of Emmerdale to consume the aforementioned meal, and another 2  minutes time to wash up before part 2 starts... but ... don`t worry,  the 2nd part is only about 11 minutes also, so you can go through the whole process again, before corrie starts... !

Adding the "programme transmission times together... a "supposedly" 30 minute program pans out at to(about) 24 mins giving the adverts 6  minutes in a 30 minute programme schedule !.

Have you also noticed.... there is no break between adverts now.... each advert seems to run into the next, it is hard to distinguish where one advert ends and the next one starts,... often I have thought... "What on earth has that to do with (the previous) the advert ? " Originally, there used to be a kind of expanding star between ads... then just a quick black 1 or 2 second break, but now they are all merged ....

I don`t watch telly much......  ( Honest ! !     Cheesy )

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 56

What are advert breaks? Unless it is a 'live' programme, all mine are recorded and ad breaks skipped at 8x speed. Even 'live' ones quite often are st to record, then I start watching 10/20 minutes later and skip breaks or boring bits - for the very few programmes I can be bothered to watch - which, looking at the schedules over the next 3 weeks, won't be many.Smiley

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@jab1 That solution is the easiest and the one I use....

@7up Have you checked how long it takes to boil a cup of water in your microwave ? If quicker that could be the solution.

If you ever come into loads of money you could get one of those gadgets that can be plumbed in to give you instant hot water, not that I would ever want one as I think they are dangerous....

Equally a metal tray with the kettle on it in the same room as the tv so all that’s needed is a trip to the fridge for the milk...or...

even a flask of tea......

NB: I take no responsibility for any problems you might have with your other half if implementing any of these ideas.

😀

Hero
Fixes: 5

@7up wrote:

Does anybody actually have a kettle that could boil within a commercial break? - Quick enough for you to make a hot drink and get back without missing anything?

The simple answer to that @7up  is make sure you buy a 3kW kettle as opposed to those all-too-common piddling 2.4kW and other under-powered wattage ratings.  Cheesy

3kW ones seem to be less common these days than they used to be many years ago, though perhaps that's an EU thing like the vacuum cleaner power ruling.

Regarding ITV(1) and Channel 4 (at least for most of the programs I record), it's usually 4 minutes between the 'sponsored by' ad showing at the beginning and end of the ad break.

Like @jab1 , I never see ads as I record everything I watch, even BBC programs (other than the news channel which is usually watched live).  I use a small wireless keyboard as the remote for the PC I use as my playback** device (the recordings** are made on another PC on the LAN) of which I have the 'up' arrow of the keyboard programmed to jump forward exactly 4 minutes, and it's rare that I have to shuffle back or forth (15 secs programmed to left and right keys) from the spot that it jumps to.

**Using MediaPortal 1 (not 2) as my preferred TV recording/playback software.

@gleneagles wrote:

@7up Have you checked how long it takes to boil a cup of water in your microwave ? If quicker that could be the solution.

@gleneagles 

My experience is that it's much slower in a microwave than a 3kW kettle.  Wink

Edit:  typo

Pro
Fixes: 2

A problem is most people put far too much water in the kettle than is needed to make a drink and therefore it 

takes longer to boil

HD

Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Get a wifi kettle!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

@Marksfish     Get a wifi kettle? ? ? ? 

or should that be    "Get a life"    or even better  ( in some cases ) "get a WIFE"   Cheesy

Aspiring Pro

Most, if not all, Channel 4 ad breaks are exactly 4 minutes long.

So just have your PVR skip set to 2 minutes. Press skip twice.

This also goes for several other breaks, ITV usually for example.

And have skip back set to 30 seconds, in case you over shoot !

Aspiring Pro

@HelloDuck wrote:

A problem is most people put far too much water in the kettle than is needed to make a drink and therefore it 

takes longer to boil

During a programme, when you think an ad break is imminent, boil kettle.

Or even at the end of an ad break.

The water will stay hot for ages.

Then a top up boil during ad break just takes a few seconds.

After poured, top up kettle just enough, so you are ready for next break.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

@jab1 That solution is the easiest and the one I use....

If you ever come into loads of money you could get one of those gadgets that can be plumbed in to give you instant hot water, not that I would ever want one as I think they are dangerous....

Equally a metal tray with the kettle on it in the same room as the tv so all that’s needed is a trip to the fridge for the milk...or...

even a flask of tea......

NB: I take no responsibility for any problems you might have with your other half if implementing any of these ideas.

😀

I don't actually drink hot drinks lol - so it doesn't actually affect me however it's an observation i made many moons ago and the clarkson clip jogged my memory.

What with it being so quiet round here lately i thought i'd post a topic about it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Lægen wrote:

Most, if not all, Channel 4 ad breaks are exactly 4 minutes long.

So just have your PVR skip set to 2 minutes. Press skip twice.

This also goes for several other breaks, ITV usually for example.

And have skip back set to 30 seconds, in case you over shoot !

Why waste time having to jump 2 minutes twice, when jumping 1 x 4 minutes takes less energy? Huh  Roll_eyes

@RobPN wrote:

... programmed to jump forward exactly 4 minutes, and it's rare that I have to shuffle back or forth (15 secs programmed to left and right keys) from the spot that it jumps to.

Seasoned Pro

I have not seen an advert for as long as I can remember but there are certain facts about boiling kettles.

A 3kw kettle will boil in less proportional time than a 2kw because the slower 2kw is losing more heat while taking longer to boil.

Any kettle will of course boil quicker if you are a decent height above sea level (lower pressure) but not necessarily at 100 deg C.

At TV time a glass of decent red wine at room temperature is always the better option!    😁

Hero
Fixes: 30

Our kettle is 3kW, and has three tabs marking water level for one, two, or three cups.

I've just put cold water straight from the tap up to level 2, and it boiled in 1 min 10 secs.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL