cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comedy revivals: Genius...

Fixes: 125

Comedy revivals: Genius...

or kiss of death?
With ITV having announced they are resurrecting Birds of a Feather with the original cast (first aired by the BBC in the 90's) it beggars the question;
Should old classics (I actually never rated BoaF very highly anyway) be resurrected either with the original or even a new cast?
Just look at the recent Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin with Martin Clunes. Big shoes to fill after Leonard Rossiter and failed completely.
Is there a classic you'd like to see brought back and, if so, with the original or new cast?
I'd hate to see a remake of Dad's Army and many others from the 60's and 70's.
I was a great fan of Only Fools and Horses but even that became a little stale by the 3 Christmas epizodes -2000-2002 Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Comedy revivals: Genius...

Tony Hancock for me Smiley Fantastic comedian - one of the best ever.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Personally I prefer radio comedy, they pictures are better  Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
Tony Hancock

I recall Paul Merton attempting to recreate some Hancock sketches many years ago. I just didn't work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Merton
Community Veteran

I can't imagine Steptoe and Son being revived.
Community Veteran

@alanf, you're right.  Merton didn't pull it off.  Only the original will do Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'd like to see re-runs of "Love Thy Neighbour" because I thought it was very funny (at the time). But I don't think it will ever happen.
Or will, "Till Death Do Us Part" with the hilariously bigoted Alf Garnett.
For radio, agree about Tony Hancock, brilliant. But what about the "The Goons" and "Around the Horne" great shows...at the time.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Love Thy Neighbour has been resurrected in the US. It is cr**.
Around the Horne will never be surpassed, or The Navy Lark (Left hand down a bit there). I had them all on cd's and used to play them on my way to work. Could get 2 episodes each way, went through all TNL that way in a summer.
Community Veteran

Although he didn't appear often, I used to love the Navy Lark dopey character in "intelligence"

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

With their ultra PC attitudes in the US, I'm surprised Love Thy Neighbour is shown there, lets face it, its downright racially out of order for the modern age.
For those too young to know of it, it concerns the comic dis-harmony of a black West Indian couple (she was gorgeous incidentally) who move in next door to a white self confessed racial bigot who's wife didn't really share his views. Although some how each episode seemed to work out well in the end, usually because the wives who got on well managed to smooth it all out.
Wouldn't even get off the page of the script writer these days.

Community Veteran

In Love Thy Neighbour what made it acceptable at the time was that both the men were racists. The jokes coming from how ridiculous their views were. Which was always pointed out by their wives.
Things haven't really moved on that much. TV comedy now substitute gay for race to get the laughs.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I've recently been watching BBC4's repeats of Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, and Galton & Simpson's scripts have stood the test of time (41 years) well - in fact I think I appreciate the series more now than I did then.
But, a remake? I think not; it was of its time, and I don't believe it would work with today's producers.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
With their ultra PC attitudes in the US, I'm surprised Love Thy Neighbour is shown there, lets face it, its downright racially out of order for the modern age.

You won't find them on the main channels.  They can be found on the cable networks where it seems different rules apply.
Community Veteran

Once every eighteen months or so we sit and watch the entire boxed set (not all at once!!) of "As Time Goes By" a rom-com really I suppose but well produced and acted. Not for belly laughs but very amusing all the same.
Another with Judy Dench with her real life husband (before his death) "A Fine Romance"
Another favourite is "Just Good Friends" for some legal reason the first series has never been officially released, but I have a copy of it.

Community Veteran

Quote from: 4C
But, a remake? I think not; it was of its time, and I don't believe it would work with today's producers.

Completely agree. For one thing large parts were shot using just one camera in a set with little panning and tilting. Wouldn't work today with my pet gripe that short attention span 2 second video bites would be necessary today.