cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comedians and Comedies of old

Jekyll
Grafter

Comedians and Comedies of old

Am I the only one of a dying breed that prefers to watch the old comedies of years gone by? and can't bear the trash they show these days, with the exception of one or two that are not that old still:
My favourites are
Comedians
Laurel and Hardy (fanatical fan)
TV Comedies:
Everdecreasing Circles (now I wonder why that would be?)  Grin
Steptoe and Son (btw complete boxed set came Saturday morning) overjoyed
Only Fools and Horses
Keeping up appearances (could kill that old bat!!)  Grin
One foot in the grave
On the Buses
Never the Twain
Are you being Served
Rising Damp (risky to show nowadays, the way things are, but it was great)
To name but a few, there are more but I can't list them all  Smiley
Am I alone with these, as the comedies these days just don't tickle the old funnybone for me
I really miss the old ones, but have a small collection on DVD, so they all live on in my eyes  Smiley
Jekyll  Wink
46 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Comedians and Comedies of old

Most of comedies they show now are American - and they have a different sense of humour to us................
my favourites  "Only Fools and Horses"  Grin Grin  and "One foot in the grave" Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Keeping up appearances (could kill that old bat!!)  Grin

How much do you want?    (that`s my missus you`re talking about)
Jekyll
Grafter

Er........well you've got me thinking shutter.......you are joking are'nt you? as there are no smilies I don't know whether to apologise or not  Huh  Grin
Community Veteran

I got "warned off" the smileys by a "moderator" that didn`t seem to think they were funny.....hence the number of question marks.... to simulate smileys...... I`m saving my allowance up for christmas....
jmd
Grafter

Grin  this forum at times gets like a situation comedy................... why do you want to get rid of your wife shutter - I feel really sorry for her Cry
Jekyll
Grafter

Oh dear.......I better watch out then, I like the smilies though, helps me in particular to get a better understanding of the tone in which a person replies to me, if they don't use any I usually don't know how to reply and therefore never post in that topic again! daft I know  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

why do you want to get rid of your wife shutter - I feel really sorry for her Cry

cos she keeps winning the lottery.......  you should be crying for me........................

@jekyll...... stick with us, and you will soon find out that most of the time, we have a sense of humour, down this end of the forum..... and I am also known as "shutter the nutter".... 
So long as you stay within the rules of smiley promotion in your posts, the moderators won`t get you.....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

It's when you put 10 smileys in a row that the moderators get upset
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and all over the place, the rules are in moderation, not beware of the moderators
Community Veteran

My favourite comedies have to be Fawlty Towers and Hancock.  Classics!!  Roll eyes
jmd
Grafter

Fawlty Towers was good but whenever I see that it reminds me of Training Films at work when we learnt from John Cleese how not to use a telephone directory................mind you they were good comedies too........................
Jekyll
Grafter

Well I know I do a fair few in my posts but I won't go that far Oldjim  Smiley
Ah Fawlty Towers, I loved those, favourite episodes have to be the Psychiarist, and the one with Joan Sanderson, Communication problems I think it was called  Grin
Jekyll
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jekyll

Ah Fawlty Towers,

There were only 12 episodes made and Cleese wouldn't do any more. He co-wrote them with his wife who played Polly, the maid, in the series.  I have them all on tape.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Soundwise, so far I have 78 Hancock Half hour progs out of 107 recorded and 94 out of 202 Goon shows, still being broadcast on BBC Rad 7 Mon & Tues
also, I still havent found out the exact link, but Stan Laurel is a Relative of my
Paternal Grandmother, since she came from Tynside and got Married in Manchester and he came from Cumbria, and they are both dead, not an easy task