cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come on... where have you all gone?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Come on... where have you all gone?

This forum is quieter than a library over the last half a week. Whats up with you all?
Sure I can understand shutter is busy morse coding his world domination plans to korea but there is no excuse for the rest of you  Cheesy
What you all been doing?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Come on... where have you all gone?

Trying to keep warm.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: 7up
This forum is quieter than a library over the last half a week. Whats up with you all?
Sure I can understand shutter is busy morse coding his world domination plans to korea but there is no excuse for the rest of you  Cheesy
What you all been doing?

are you earwigging on cwcom?  K
Community Veteran

Well, I've not been here 'cos I've been transferring/installing software to a new (to me) system unit.
My sig has the details.
Once I got email transferred I moved over to the new system and disconnected the old lappy. So, I just have the one system again.
Reason for changing is that this one is absolutely silent, whereas the old box fans sounded like a hurricane. Hence the earlier move to a laptop.
Now, I have a silent desktop so no need for the lappy!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've been improving on the manufactures computer case.
Stupid design with a button at the side of the case for opening the DVD drawer, except it does not !
Further examination showed the button, when pushed, operated a slider which in turn pushes  the button on the DVD except in this case it did not due to the gap being to wide so a bit of super glue and an additional  piece of  plastic has rectified the problem.
Sorry if this post is boring but you did appear to be asking where everybody was.
Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up
What you all been doing?

Being a 'standin' midwife - Lambing has begun.
Community Veteran

@journeys,
Bet you are near freezing in this weather !
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wabasto heater, sitting in the hay, flask of strong coffee, good book, I don't do the deliveries, just call "the boss" when it's time, then paint up the ewe (blue for singles red for twins) and make sure lambs stay with mum as the are moved to another area, I help out with a 6-8 hour shift as and when required.
Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd
Well, I've not been here 'cos I've been transferring/installing software to a new (to me) system unit.
My sig has the details.

I was looking at one of those 2x quad core systems on ebay and have to admit they look like the business. You'll have to let me know how it works out noise wise with all the coling fans etc as thats one thing i don't like - cooling fan noise! Oddly i can cope with hard drives spinning but cooling fans... no. Odd I know.
@glen no not boring at all - actually rather interesting to read that someones managed to solve a problem. My emachines has a similar button to yours. It's up on the top and presses the button on the front of the dvd burner.. except it frequently fails to do it properly and its getting worse with age. I might just get my k8055 usb board out and write a program to open / close the draw on a button press instead as i find it rather annoying to keep pressing it repeatedly lol.
Community Veteran

@7up..... that seems a bit extreme....  I just tried this......
Go to.... My computer... left click on the CD drive... draw opens .    Cheesy  with a message saying... "Please insert a disc in drive D:/ "  simples !
Community Veteran

@shutter,
Is there also a message which allows you to shut the drawer ?
I guess you could do it manually but often wondered if you could do some damage doing it that way, I guess it's the only option with a laptop but not sure about a desktop, perhaps someone could clarify that point.
Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Is there also a message which allows you to shut the drawer

Easy just use nircmd.exe.
Tiny program with those commands sort of built in.
I have two icons on my taskbar, one open one close. I thought my way was easier and simpler than a ready written all in one offering.
On my pc it was fiddly to close the dvd unless you just shoved it,
Community Veteran

Not as far as I know.... seems to me to be just laziness....You put the cd/dvd in the drawer..... then you push it to..... your hand is already in the location.... !  must be more of an effort to remove the hand... then find the mouse... then find the icon... then click on the icon... to close the drawer ! ! ! ...  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
@shutter,
Is there also a message which allows you to shut the drawer ?
I guess you could do it manually but often wondered if you could do some damage doing it that way, I guess it's the only option with a laptop but not sure about a desktop, perhaps someone could clarify that point.
Smiley

Oddly windows doesn't have a close option in the context menu however responding to shutter, thats a long way of doing it when you could right click the drive icon and put a shotcut straight on the desktop (which still offers the eject option in the context menu). Seems odd to go into my computer every time  Wink
Back to glen, yes you can push the drawer back in and they're designed for allow this. You only need to push it a few millimetres and the draw will take over and slide itself in the rest of the way. Unless you're talking of opening it... I wouldn't advise you do that however many of the older drives to have an emergency eject hole for a paperclip to be shoved into.. not seen one in years though.
Community Veteran

Thanks for that.
Now if I had though to ask in the first place I could have saved myself a bit of work there !
Smiley