cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come Fly With Me!!

Community Veteran

Come Fly With Me!!

Anyone travelling to the US will be subject to extra security checks before flying.
American officials said last week they were aware of a "credible" terrorist threat, but have not linked the security changes to any specific intelligence.
In addition all electronic devices could be checked by asking owners to switch on the device to show it is genuine. Any device that is not charged will not be allowed in hand baggage but can be carried in hold baggage.
Security Measures
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Come Fly With Me!!

The .gov.uk site has also been reflected to show this - https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items
The news channels were reporting specific phones they were interested in (iPhones/Galaxies) but I couldn't find any specific mention of them on the UK/US gov sites.
Community Veteran

There hasn't been any specific phones stated AFAIK. This change of policy only came in last week and is being clarified as it is implemented. I'm sure over the next few weeks we will get more specific details from the security authorities.
Community Veteran

It was reported through Reuters - http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/04/us-usa-security-airports-idUSKBN0F724820140704
They are obviously aware of a threat, just not a specific threat.
I wonder if there is extra screening at the gate before you board your flight? Because anyone taking a connection first, won't go through the same level of screening at the normal security area.
Community Veteran

At present all passengers going air-side are subject to these checks irrespective of their destination. I assume connecting flights will go through these checks or it will leave a major flaw in the procedures but I have not heard how this will be done. It won't be difficult to set up an additional desk and channel all transfer passengers through it. In the US when I make a connection I have to go through security at the connecting airport in addition to the original airport of boarding.
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
I wonder if there is extra screening at the gate before you board your flight? Because anyone taking a connection first, won't go through the same level of screening at the normal security area.

Yes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28193654
"Checks will be carried out at London's Heathrow both at security control and boarding gates, while a spokeswoman for Manchester Airport said that device power checks would only be done by airline staff at departure gates."
Community Veteran

I think this will come under real scrutiny.
Some gates don't have additional x-ray scanners/metal detectors - so it surely can be easy for people to hide things.
Community Veteran

All passengers undergo a full security check as they go air-side. At the departure lounges most airlines do spot checks on some passengers as they enter the lounge. If electronic devices have been checked at the main security there should be no need for a second check.
I think this new level of security is so new that airports are making their own interpretation of the instructions at present. Hopefully a common method will be established in the near future.
Fixes: 104

Oh joy.. not looking forward to that.
Will Moderate For Thanks
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
At present all passengers going air-side are subject to these checks irrespective of their destination .. It won't be difficult to set up an additional desk and channel all transfer passengers through it

Unfortunately, that would leave a major loophole where one terrorsist books a flight to europe and goes through the lower security with a tech/bomb then, once inside the terminal hands it to the actual bomber who has the flight to the US and who has gone through enhanced security without a bomb.
You would need to segregate all passengers to the US completely from all other passengers throughout all stops on all their journeys .. and no airport in the world is set up to do at the minute, let alone all of them.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

wouldn't it make more sense on a security footing to screen everyone regardless of who or where there going on entry to the airport terminal at the same level that way there cant be any transfer from one ot another and you don't clog up the boarding gates with a few hundred people getting strip searched (because there's not enough scanners)
it might mean a small amount of extra work but it would make al air travel safer, you can also eject all connecting flight persons through the security gate and just have a one stop shop that caters for all eventualities
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

All passengers will be subjected to the new level of checks followed by random checks at the departure lounge irrespective of destination.
This is not a major change in procedure. It simply means that greater attention will be paid to electronic devices.
Community Veteran

@ nanotm - I am not sure what kind of airports you've been to, but people don't get strip searched at boarding gates.
Community Veteran

The UK has announced that the checks on electronic equipment will now be carried out on a wider range of flights and not limited to those to the US.
Additional Checks
It makes sense.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

some airports do perform such things at security when there on alert and the scanner isn't working or isn't available and the wand picks something up,
that its not normal standard practice I don't disagree but that doesn't stop it being an option for them to employ (and yes I'm aware they have to perform such searches in a private room be that temporary structure or a proper side room
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you