cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold winter ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cold winter ?

We have a holly tree in the garden for years but this is the first time I have ever seen it full of berries.

Seem to recall reading somewhere that was a sign of a very cold winter or is that just a myth ?

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Cold winter ?

Not a clue but we do need a proper cold one to kill off all the bugs going round and reset the playing field a bit.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

My apple tree is so full of fruit that some of the branches have broken off.

I've never seen it with so many apples on before.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Like most myths and old-wives-tales there's probably an element of truth in it somewhere. I also have near me a very large holly bush hedge (its not mine but a neighbours). That was heavy with berries last year - one of the warmest winters on record - However I think the abundance of berries is more to do with the weather conditions in the preceding spring, summer and autumn rather than to do with the coming winter, in the same way that most tree fruits have had a good crop this year. My apple, pear and plum trees have been very fruitful this autumn.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Oh dear... I thought I was reading a story from the Daily Mail, just now !>!> ! !

early last week, they were "forecasting" that the two recent hurricanes, were joining up, and "hurtling towards the UK" , and we should expect " terrifying winds and rain"... last weekend....

It was pretty nice down south, and oop north only got a bit of wind and wet weather, ( if I remember ) ! ! ..

6 years ago, I bought a special wide large plastic "snow shovel",  and a new stiff yard-broom, on the assumption that the holly bushes around here were showing early signs of a harsh winter....  haven`t seen any snow since buying the shovel and keeping it outside the back door....

Maybe you should buy a snow shovel, to keep the snow away from your back door too  ! ! ! ! ! !  Cheesy  ( it worked for me ! ! !  Roll eyes )

Community Veteran

Once talking to a old farmer years ago who said he could tell if it was going to rain later in the day as the cows would always go to the highest part of the field.

Community Veteran

@shutter

yep, I also bought one of those shovels several years ago but it's never been used.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@gleneagles you would think, in this modern day, with all the tech available to farmers, that he would just listen to his local weather forecast, or put his post code into a weather website, and he could see from minute to minute when it was going to rain.... fancy relying on the cows....    Huh     Undecided   Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

* Goes to put on a White Christmas bet on *

(That's a joke, I don't bet).

Mind you plenty where I live and they always seem to be opposite pubs Tongue

People go there to bet, cross the road and watch say a big football match in the pub where I live.

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

@gleneagles you would think, in this modern day, with all the tech available to farmers, that he would just listen to his local weather forecast, or put his post code into a weather website, and he could see from minute to minute when it was going to rain.... fancy relying on the cows....    Huh     Undecided   Roll eyes

As the saying goes,' Old habits die hard', guess this was passed on to him by older farming relatives

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I also have 2 of those snow shovels (one I bought, one SHMBO got free), I bought it after the bad winter we had about 10 years ago when we had 'bout 2' of snow, it has seen little use in past years.