cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold enough yet?

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Cold enough yet?

At what temperature is it acceptable to put the heating on?

Had the wood burner going for a couple of hours last night, but still to early I think to put those overnight storage heaters to use. 

Sometimes that extra jumper... and sat watching TV with my hat on just don't seem right. 🤠 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
9 REPLIES 9
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Cold enough yet?

Until a couple of years ago July was the only month I'd never had the heating on.  I don't think I had any heating on in June this year but I was tempted to put it on one or two nights in July.  August 27th was the first evening I fired up the boiler, and yesterday and today it's been on almost all the time I've been in.  I haven't set it to come on automatically yet though, just a quick burst this morning before using the bathroom.

The problem with storage heating is that you have to guess what the next day is going to be like.  I had storage heating at my last place and once in mid-October I left it on storage overnight and the next day it was 20C, so all the heat went out of the window (literally).

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Blow what anyone else thinks, if its cold, its cold. Get the heat going. The heating came on round here the other night as well. It was 3°C!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

We’ve had the heating on today, just checking it still works....

Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

I get your point about storage heaters but quite honestly, they are the first to be turned off as we come out of winter and the last to go on as we leave Autumn behind - so no chances taken there is we can at all help it. I think the real issue (and it must be for some) is where they are your only source of heating as that us just asking for trouble and more importantly, waste and the expense of waste.

They were supplied and fitted free under a national Warmer Home Scheme along with added loft insulation which was also supplied free - they were certainly not somthing we would have had otherwise but used frugally on low overnight tariff they make a nice addtional winter warmer addition and no, we have not turned them on yet. November... maybe, and probably off by March.

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:

I think the real issue (and it must be for some) is where they are your only source of heating as that us just asking for trouble and more importantly, waste and the expense of waste.

Combi boilers are far worse. Yes, they might well be economic to run but when heating AND hot water all come from the one and only source, when it breaks down, its disaster time. If I had the time (and the room), I'd put a large hot water cylinder back in with a couple of immersion heaters fitted. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had the front off my living room gas heater last week.

Chance to vacuum out all the dust and give the spiders a chance to move house before lighting up.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@idonno wrote:

Blow what anyone else thinks, if its cold, its cold. Get the heat going. The heating came on round here the other night as well. It was 3°C!

Wot he says.

If it's cold, it's cold. We had it on in the middle of summer a couple of times this year.

Years ago you could legitimately say "it's too early" and the like but these days you can't. It gets cold at all sorts of weird times just like we can have summer days in March!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Aspiring Pro

External temperature of 10ºC is my trigger point.

CH is now on 20/7, albeit with the radiator water temperature set to half way on the combi.

Not on 11pm to 3am.

Cuddle time !

Aspiring Legend

@7up 

Again heating types, as even it's cold the option to turn all the heating on around the house can be difficult one to take.

Like many here there was no such thing as central heating or even fitted carpets come to that when we were kids (cue Monty Python) - just a coal fire, lino on the floor and my Dads old army greatcoat over us at night to keep us that bit warmer. 

Talking of which nice and warm now as just been stacking up an early delivery of fire wood.

Winter?

Bring it on, we can take it!