cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold calls from banks

Fixes: 121

Cold calls from banks

Just received yet another call from Santander. Normally as soon as the automate message starts I just hang up but after quite a few recently I decided to listen to the messge.
It was a recorded message telling me it is important information regarding a store purchase. True I made a BNPL (Buy Now Pay Later)  purchase purchase from this particular store.
I was asked to enter my date of birth which there's no way I'll do on any cold call. Finally I got put through to an Indian call centre.
I was asked security questions which I refused until he could prove he was from Santander. He wouldn't do that until I answered the security questions! He did say it was important so I told him to mark their system to send a letter. He then proceeded to tell me it was so important they couldn't wait for the letter to be sent. At that point I hung up.
As their number (0845) did appear I checked it out and it is, in fact, from Santander. I rang it back which just gave an automated response to ring them using the number on the letter Cheesy
I found another geographical number to ring and got put through to an Indian call centre again. I asked to be transferred to an UK call centre ans was told he couldn't. I just hung up... Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Cold calls from banks

They are generally completely useless at such issues and really DON'T understand the concept of security.  Crazy
I always ask such callers to prove who they are, which always ends up in a deadlock. They (the system/process designers) really are total idiots.  Lips are sealed
Santander have a reputation to uphold; this sounds consistent with it.  Angry
That said, my own main bank (First Direct) is excellent in this regard.
They have procatively contacted me more than once regarding fraud on my credit card.
In each case I have been "bombarded" with communications - landline, mobile AND text message within minutes - and the number shown is always a valid one that I recognise.
BUT I never discuss anything, I just say if this is genuine I'll call you back and they say fine.
When I call back I get through and the issue it dealt with promptly and politely, usually by the first person to answer.
Sadly I also have to deal with Santander at times.  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Santander has the worst customer relations of any bank.  They are always being hauled over the coals for the way they treat customers.
My main account is with Lloyds and I have to say generally they are extremely good.

Quote from: artmo
Santander has the worst customer relations of any bank.  They are always being hauled over the coals for the way they treat customers.

That's why I moved my day-to-day banking away from Santander several years ago. They made appauling mistakes, charged over the top for the smallest of overdrafts and were useless at customer relations.
I was lucky enough to have been able to get a large refund on all the charges they had made just before the courts decided in their favour Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

nadger
Rising Star

When I had a business account with HSBC they phoned and were surprised when I asked them to prove who they were.
I ended conversation and had letter confirming call was genuine.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Are you sure the letter was from HSBC?
My bank (NatWest) are pretty good with security.
If in doubt, tell the caller you will call them back (using a number that you yourself look up) If its genuine you'll eventually be put through. The cost of the call will be a lot less than a scam.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I took a call the other day supposedly from my wife's bank.
They wouldn't identify themselves appropriately and wouldn't give me any sensible message citing (incorrectly) the DPA.
All I got was a name and phone number and the name of a branch.
The number didn't correlate to anything I could find so I had my doubts.
So I phoned the bank on a known good number and asked if the call was genuine.
They were unable to confirm or deny the phone number was one of theirs or that the person named did or didn't work in the branch specified - no access to the relevant information!
I then asked if I should report the matter to the police as attempted fraud.........
That sort of got their interest but all they could suggest was that my wife contacted her branch.
What a load of useless idiots!  Crazy
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The automatic system seem something like Nationwide's. At least Nationwide tells one what to expect.
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/internetbanking/onlinesecurity/howwekeepyousafe/automatedcustomercontact...

I doubt if it's anything to do with fraud in my case as it's a BNPL and not a credit card so no other transactions can be made except payments.
1st payment was due last month and, according to on-line banking, the DD is set up but no payment yet been taken.
Wish they had a better way of sorting out problems - UK call centre would be a start. Obviously, it wouldn't matter if it was a bank error, it could still end up as a black mark on my credit reference Angry
I suppose I'll just have to keep redialling till I get someone who I can understand and who understands me Roll eyes

gswindale
Grafter

It's not just banks that are useless.
At work we often have messages left from British Gas asking us to call them on xxxx and quote our account reference.
That's a bit tricky as we manage a rather large number of sites and have no way of knowing what the account reference they want to talk to us about is.
If they come straight through it's even harder as they ask us to confirm the first line of the billing address and the site post-code.  We then tell them we cannot do that until we know which site it is they want to speak about - which they cannot do until we provide them with the details.  Catch-22 then.

Finally got through to Santander this morning - so much trouble finding a geographical number. They seem to have gone over to 0844 and 0871 numbers. Angry
It appears that a DD hadn't been set up and I was told that I never gave that info when I signed the contract. I told them to locat the original documentation and check.
At least the agent was apologetic and immediately set the DD up from the correct information I HAD given.
I was then told a triple payment would be taken in December. I wasn't happy with that so he a greed to take a manual payment now and again at the end of this month and 'normal' service can continue in December.
Late payment charges had been added so he cancelled them but said that no change to any adverse credit scoring could be actioned till 1st December.
Anyway, they'll be getting a letter of complaint in a few days.