cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold call about 'my' car accident

Fixes: 125

Cold call about 'my' car accident

Decided to have a bit of fun and 'go with it'.

I had loud music on in the background which I am sure he would have been able to hear but kept telling him to speak up as I could barely hear himCheesy

Caller: Can we talk about your recent car accident?

Me: Sure - what do you want to know?

Caller: When did the accident happen?

Me: Just now

Caller: How many people were in the car?

Me: 15

Caller: How is that even possible?

Me: You tell me as you seem to know about it already

Caller: What was the registration of the vehicle?

Me: AB01CDE

Caller: That registration does not exist

Me: Really?

Caller hangs up

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Cold call about 'my' car accident

clown-car

Were you driving one of these cars Mav?

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

That's the oneWink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Interestingly BTs just announced the top 5 offenders of nuisance calls blocked by Call Protect and accident claims top the list.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/04/uk-isp-bt-name-top-5-worst-nuisance-callers-2-million-a...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I get a few of these calls. In response to the question "we understand you have had an insurance claim against you for an accident that wasn't your fault" ...I answer "which one?", and then the caller becomes flustered and tries to get me to tell him which accident this might refer to.

Then like Mav's caller I tell him/her that they seem to know all the answers "you tell me". The last caller realised he was beaten, and realistically said he would take me off their caller list.

Edit/ I've noticed a couple of times that just before I block the number that some are prefixed 0208 (London) so are seemingly not bothering to disguise them. Maybe this is a new approach in leading us to believe the call is genuine.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've had a few spam texts on my mobile about "that car accident I had", just wish it was a call so I could spoil their day when I revealed I don't own a car and haven't done since 2004... Funny

Aha - but you could have been a passengerWink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Last accident I was in as a passenger was in '94, lost my Tetris high score on my Game Boy too.......

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Since i went to TPS i dont get any , landline or Mobile Smiley  it must work ,,,,,,, or am i just lucky

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

You are just lucky; many of these calls are made from abroad where a TPS registration has no effect.

Community Veteran

Mav wrote:

Caller: What was the registration of the vehicle?

Me: AB01CDE

You should have used ABC 123.

The car is apparently a ford fiesta that has been locked away in a garage (shows up on gov tax checker as a red ford but no model with valid tax). Anyway moons ago local councils were using ABC 123 as their test registration number for trainee parking staff and their start_of_shift test tickets (imagine 12 staff printing one of these each day at each council across teh country..). Unknown to all the idiotic parking managers across the country at the time, the registration was real and so when they "forgot" to cancel those parking tickets on their various computer systems, they all got processed after the 28 days via the DVLA for the registered keepers details. Naturally the heavy dudes were repeatedly sent to the owners house to collect the parking fines plus "dues" and caused the owner to sue numerous councils. He then wrote to every council in the land warning them that if they continued to use his registration wrongfully and proceeded with their harassment intentionally he would sue them too. QWE 123 is now the registration of choice lol.

So.. you could have caused your nuisance caller some hassle there and got them into a nice little legal dispute Mav.. when they ask for your address just tell them to find it via the DVLA Cheesy

Makes you wonder how many parking offences you could escape using that number plate...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Did they really believe that the same car had been parked all over the country every time the parking staff changed shift?  I don't even think the car used in Back to the Future was capable of such agility.

Community Veteran

Thats just it.. nobody bothered to check that the registration was real.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

I heard somewhere that when a TV/film production company wants to make a programme/film involving nurses, they contact the nurses' registering body to check that the names they wish to use are not unique, or near-unique, so as to avoid suggesting they are basing their production on a real person.  A fee is payable for this service.

I wonder what would happen if someone called Charlie Fairhead decided to go into nursing.