Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Fusion

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cold Fusion

Cold Fusion, myth or reality ?
On 10th December Germany fired up it's new WX-7 stellarator fusion reactor which they claim is another step towards a cold fusion reactor, clearly someone thinks it's a possibility considering the cost but is it something you would take a bet on ?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Cold Fusion

That isn't cold fusion - in fact it is flaming hot
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In physics, fusion is possible, as that is what powers the sun, but here on earth, who knows, it could be the future of energy, or it could blow half the planet off into space, that's for the future though...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I once purchased a Coldfusion development system. It was produced by Macromedia (now Adobe). It is probably the only coldfusion system that actually works.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If it fails to work they could sell it to the film industry as it's a better design than many of the props in star wars !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I once purchased a Coldfusion development system. It was produced by Macromedia (now Adobe). It is probably the only coldfusion system that actually works.

Grin
I thnk I still have that on a CD somewhere myself...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I watched a movie about it many years ago with the man that frequently plays god as the arch good/bad guy that funds all the research then try's to kill them all for being subversive commies / (chain reaction)
the basic principles have been around for a long time the problem is "cold fusion" requires more energy to make it work than it gives out and was abandoned decades ago as a viable energy source, that's not to say it couldn't be made to work in the future but most people are now investigating "fusion" which is a very low energy input  for a very high heat output, and because its a chain reaction system it is unstable and not really controllable, perfect for using to power long range rocket propulsion in space but not so good for use planet side imho
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

if scientists really want to understand fission and fusion, they would do well to study living cells wherein such takes place.  i would point them in the direction of the krebs cycle; amp, adp, atp.  all done at around 37 deg celcius.  ain't nature clever?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes but nature then has to fit a ECU to its devices called a brain... along with other supporting organs to ensure the cells stay alive. Even then they'll snuffit within 100 years... and thats after devouring (or murdering) half the planet to feed those cells. So in reality cells are dependent on other fuels too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
AndyDane
Dabbler

Quote from: gleneagles
On 10th December Germany fired up it's new WX-7 stellarator fusion reactor which they claim is another step towards a cold fusion reactor, clearly someone thinks it's a possibility considering the cost but is it something you would take a bet on ?

Very exciting, the Stellerator is looking the best bet at a fusion reactor now, ITER has seen some success as well, but since it's a Tokamaks reactor it has more problems to over come than the Stellerator, as changes in current within the plasma of a Tokamaks can disrupt the containment field. Whereas Stellerators rely entirely on external magnets and run continuously, rather than in pulses.
The WX-7 has produced Helium plasma for the first time and they're applying for approval to run it with hydrogen plasma late next year, if they succeed in creating a self sustaining fusion reactor, then this will be an enormous step towards creating the first fusion power station.
As previously stated though, this isn't cold fusion, just fusion. The plasma is 100 million degrees centigrade, far hotter than the centre of the sun, to account for the much lower pressure the fuel is under on earth.