cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Calls

Fixes: 47

Cold Calls

I had difficulty sleeping last night so put BBC Parliament on the TV.
They were showing a recording of the House of Lords and one topic under debate was cold calls.
One of the members stated that signing up with the Telephone Preference Service stopped these kind of calls.
This caused a bit of an uproar resulting in quite a few members being woken up.
The member was quickly reminded that many of these calls originate overseas or from companies such as pay-day lenders who are exempt.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
8 REPLIES
Razorback
Grafter

Re: Cold Calls

Given the volume of cold calls still received even after signing up with TPS, I wonder how many more would be received if I had not signed up. Knowing the type and origin of most of the calls that I get I suspect it probably makes little difference now.
Community Veteran

I get numerous calls about home improvements. They all come from a pre-recorded message which asks me to press 7 if I'm interested. I wish something could be done about these calls.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There is.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/complain/phone-and-broadband-complaints/privacy/
Scroll down for the bit about recorded calls.
Community Veteran

Thanks for that. I'll use it the next time I get one of these calls. A useful site Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I use one of these www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JG02ZEY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
And very good it is too. But, I think some cold call companies are waking up to the fact that there are a lot of call blockers in use nowadays, so instead of using their own number or other masking device, more are using "Number Withheld" Yes you can block them, but it will also block all the important withheld such as doctors, community nurses and friends and relations who use it and other similar people who you probably do want to speak to.
But otherwise it works well for International Out of Area (of which we were being plagued with several times a day) and similar calls. A little expensive maybe, but peace reigns in this house now.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I must be honest and say I do not get a lot of cold calls, it's just that they are irritating. I had one on Sunday night at about 8.30pm. Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't worry about cold-callers, I don't use the phone, nor do I give out the landline number either, I just use a skype-in number that I can easily throw away if I start to get CCers... Smiley
Best thing to do with them, assuming it's not a recorded call, is just string them along, act like a frustratingly stupid and partially person to wind them up, the longer they're on the line the more they get annoyed and the more likely they'll mark your number as some nut who's not worth bothering with... Grin
Fixes: 47

I had a call from my doctor last Monday (I was out at the time).
I was pleased to note that my phone recorded it as a local 0114 number so the message is getting through that non geographic numbers are not acceptable in such services.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation