Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Callers moneyexpert.com knocking on doors

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Cold Callers moneyexpert.com knocking on doors

@Mav wrote:

Oh, no eye contact seems to make it easierWink

You should try making eye contact, a very fixed stare right into their very soul, with your eyes wide and focussed, and just say in a hushed voice, "not interested", I'm sure it'd put them right off coming back to "that creepy guy's house"... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

I was having a bad day, when I got a knock at the door. On answering I saw the ‘Folder of Knowledge’ clutched in the callers arms, this immediately got my back up. He was just about to speak when I said to him, “Before you start have you got 5 minutes?”. “Sure.” came the reply. “OK, give me 5 seconds and I’ll go and get the book.”, I said. “Book?, What book?” Says he. To which I replied the “Janet and John book, so I can teach you to read, as evidently you can’t!” as I pointed to the “No cold callers” sticker on my door.

You’d needed to have been their to see the face he pulled, a combination of questioned frustration, astonishment and annoyance. Thankfully he took the hint and left without saying a word, as I suspect he really didn’t know what to say.

I did feel a bit guilty later thinking about it, but on reflection that face, made it all the worthwhile.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Talking about books, reminds me of the time we had a couple of callers one of whom was clutching an Anglican bible. The wife took one look at it and said "hang on", whereupon she came back with a Catholic version that had once belonged to her mother. "I am quite happy with my own faith thank you, and this is the one I use" - whereupon they politely withdrew.

Another example of this sort of thing was my younger brother who happens to be a very well read lay preacher. When a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses came knocking on his door he invited them in and crikey, were they pleased. Talk about going into the Lions dens, after a couple of hours of counter bible bashing (and my brother is never one to lose an argument about those scriptures) they asked to leave!

He said afterwards he was being "delightfully cruel to be kind" as they should have known the bible better. 

Thank Gods for Atheism, that's all I can say Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

My Mother-in-Law, when she saw the bible pushers coming up the drive in very smart dark suits, would cover her hands in flour before answering the door, then apologise that she was baking. They'd smart back off when she started waving her hands about threatening to get flour over their suits!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 263

Could always get the garden hose out and say "Let us spray together"Funny

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

A water pistol should work, it does on those damned cats in my garden!

Fixes: 220

I have a copy of the Koran somewhere.

I might try taking that to the door with me the next time Jehovah witnesses call.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0 (64-bit)