cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colchester group suggests 15mph town centre limit

shalom2010
Grafter

Colchester group suggests 15mph town centre limit

I wish this was on all side roads!! Maybe slower still?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-22596097
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Colchester group suggests 15mph town centre limit

Far better to educate pedestrians and bring back the green cross man.
Then repair pot holes and remove speed bumps so drivers can properly concentrate on driving safely.
Finally bring in some form of legislation that forces cyclists to actually use a cycle lane/path where one is provided.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

IMO reducing the speed limit just means that certain people will exceed it by a greater amount.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

These days I think the fast pace of life and the pressure most folk are under is forcing people to take shortcuts timewise..You can have all the low speed limits you want but if there are hard pressed people out there they are going to cut corners and take risks.
What we really need is for the pressure to be lifted off the nation so we're not as all hard pressed and people can actually slow down and chill for a bit.
Thats my thoughts anyway..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I'm all for that, like the Italians.
They seem to know how to relax and take things easy. We're always told Italians live longer because to eat healthier. But I'm sure it's more to do with a stress free lifestyle.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: shalom2010
I wish this was on all side roads!! Maybe slower still?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-22596097

Portsmouth already has a blanket 20mph on all side roads on the island. only the main "through" routes are 30mph.....
15mph is a bit loony to say the least.... 20mph works pretty well, as the side streets have usually got cars parked on both sides, right up to the cross roads junctions, and it needs a slow speed to negotiate them.
James
Grafter

Do we still teach the green cross code in schools?
I don't drive and never will, but I'm often astounded by the sheer stupidity of some pedestrians.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think a lot of stuff that used to be basic education has just slipped away over the years as parents and teachers have moved on with tech and seem to think kids will just 'know' things like road safety.
As for the 15mph limit, many speedos don't even kick in until 10mph and even then it's questionable if its entirely accurate..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shalom2010
Grafter

"As for the 15mph limit, many speedos don't even kick in until 10mph and even then it's questionable if its entirely accurate.."
Well I'm sure they could use the 'Slow Down' signs that light up! Also there are signs that display your speed as you approach them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I can't ever recall having problems crossing the roads in Colchester, and even at busy times there are plenty of crossings with push button controlled traffic lights.
Community Veteran

15mph is too slow IMO.  If there is a need for a reduced speed limit let them try 20mph but monitor it over say a 3 month period to see what effect it has on congestion.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben

Finally bring in some form of legislation that forces cyclists to actually use a cycle lane/path where one is provided.

There have been fatalities of pedestrians by cyclists so you want to increase the probability of it happening by forcing cyclists that can do 20+MPH to use paths?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The 20 mph limit is set to reduce fatal injuries when a pedestrian is struck by a car, not to inconvenience motorists.  I guess an automatic five year ban for those (including cyclists) caught exceeding the 30 mph speed limit in built-up areas would be more effective at reducing injury.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Oh dear, I thought it was just Islington council losing the plot in London advertising their 20 limit everywhere (as if it were a good thing).
But why 15? Surely we should go to 10 and save even more lives, or 5 to save even more and have a someone waving a red flag in front of the car.
Or just ban cars altogether, down all side roads. Wouldn't that be a good thing?
The councils go on as if making stricter limits makes any difference, and people will listen to them.
The 20 limit certainly stopped a fatality down my parents road 6 years ago, when someone revved off from the pub.
And they have the good old Marshalls humps the council decided to put in. I bet they make the road so much safer in the snow when you can't see them Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

15mph is probably the top speed of Boudica's chariot, and the Council don't want to upset her after what she did to the town last time !.