cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coffee

Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

Coffee

We go out to several cafe`s and tea rooms, during our trips into the outside world, and it amazes me, that nearly every one we go to, always serves the Black Coffee, or "Americano"  to me.....But I am the one who drinks tea !... Why?  Why do the staff always assume that the male is the one who drinks the coffee?  They rarely ask, who is drinking which beverage.....

Another gripe... why do coffee drinkers get a little biscuit served with their drink, but the tea drinker  ... gets nowt ?

Some weird discrimination going on the the sheltered world of tea rooms and cafe culture...

19 REPLIES 19
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Coffee

I’m assuming that who gets what depends on who makes the order, if you do it by saying can we have one Coffee, one Tea and a huge pile of buns please. I’d wager that the person taking your order assumes the coffee is for you as it’s first on the list and quite simply you’re a bloke. But if the wife makes the same order the assumption would be that the wife was putting you first.

Next time you are out try a bit of psychology, order the coffee while looking at the wife, look away from her and order your tea. It doesn’t matter what order you order provided you look at the person while ordering an item for them. Assuming the same person returns to your table changes are you’ll get your tea and the wife the coffee.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I'm guessing the staff are just going by experience?

Next time you go to a cafe (not a coffee shop or tea room) check out if you can who is drinking what by gender, or even better, just ask the staff. As for getting a little biscuit with that coffee, given the price of one in these places the very least they can give you is a 'free' gift!

I'm the coffee drinker in our house. Proper stuff not instant... unless the Mrs gets up first and makes me as she just has done, a cup of tea. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

There have been a few times when the wife has ordered and paid for something and then........

They give the change back to me !

Imagine what might get said if it was a younger couple.

As for coffee, well the best place for that is Weatherspoons, £1.99 AND as many free refills as you want.

Of course all you coffee experts will say it's rubbish but try it first as a alternative to those rip off merchants who want nearly £ 3 for one cup

Community Veteran

The missus does the ordering.... every time !... and even when we go to the same places quite often, and the same staff serve... they alway start to put the coffee down towards me... then I tell them I am the tea person ...

It`s just weird... that they do not ask first.. ..... they always do with a food order when that is brought out... so why assume that the male is the coffee drinker... 

As for "people watching"... nah... can`t be bothered with all that stuff... I go to a tea room/cafe to have tea and cake/whatever.... ! 

Shep41
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You can't beat a good strong cup of tea.🍵🍵🍵
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

A recent survey showed that 60% of men drink coffee when out, whereas 90% of women would rather go to a shoe shop. Wink

@Shep41 

Ditto, cannot stand the weak stuff. I sometimes think the Mrs is on some sort of economy drive!

@shutter 

Now I'm up and about I've just asked the Mrs (as her family ran a cafe) and she tells that when serving, you would always ask who ordered what in much the same way as you would when delivering food to the table and that it's just bad service otherwise.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman   Yes, indeed.... I agree with that... as we used to run a couple of tea rooms and had a 150 cover restaurant at one time....... so it "kinda" grinds a bit, when on the "other side of the table" ... when staff just assume things and start to profer the coffee towards me.... I have also noticed... the coffee is always picked up first, to serve ! ! ..

Community Veteran

For my coffee I have one of these, but of course the coffee is really as only as good as the beans you put into the machine regardless of how good the machine is at preparing it, the same can be said about the tea leaves too.

Champnet
Pro

Is there more money to be made pushing coffee ?

Tea, that's what my parents drank....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook 

If it is just me as it often is in the morning, I use one of these filter cups. If more is needed at any time then I get the coffe jug out.

Used an espresso machine for years and we still have one of those Italian type ones that go on the hob but I now find them to much bother... and to much bother to wash out afterwards. As for that Impressa, isn't there some issue with recycling those pod things - although fair play, my daughter has one and they do make nice coffee.

Capture (2).PNG

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

As for that Impressa, isn't there some issue with recycling those pod things -

There may well be issues with pod based machines @Minivanman but the F8 is a bean to cup machine! You fill it with coffee beans and it grinds them on demand.

Fixes: 228

These days I'm very reluctant to ask for a coffee when out and about.

I usually get shown a list of alleged variants, most of which I haven't a clue about, being an 'instant' drinker.

I usually pick one at random on the theory that if it's wet and hot, what can possibly go wrong.

Maybe I should educate myself but they all seem very similar, none of which stand out from the crowd.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0.5 (64-bit)

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook 

"There may well be issues with pod based machines @Minivanman but the F8 is a bean to cup machine! You fill it with coffee beans and it grinds them on demand."

Ah right, my mistake. Enjoy Thumbs Up

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Strat 

On the very rare occasion we have a coffee in one of those places I have the exact same trouble and crikey, they know how to charge for those cakes don't they!

"Fancy a cup of coffee and a cake my husband?"

"Yes Mrs, but only if you are daft enough to pay for it"