Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cobalt & Electric cars

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Cobalt & Electric cars

Seems that electric cars may not turn out to be good for the environment after all.

As the number of these cars increase so will the need for batteries.

Batteries contain Cobalt ......so where does some of this Cobalt come from ?

There is a fair amount on the sea bed and companies are already planning to mine this cobalt by scouring the sea bed....so much for the environment.

REF: BBC news at one.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Cobalt & Electric cars

That`s the beauty of mining the sea bed.... nobody will see the destruction,... until it`s too late...

and then ........

they will put a tax on it.. to make things better..

(gormless chinaman emoticon)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles wrote:

Seems that electric cars may not turn out to be good for the environment after all.

There is a fair amount on the sea bed and companies are already planning to mine this cobalt by scouring the sea bed....so much for the environment.

How about the moon?

"Among the moon’s vast riches: gold, cobalt, iron, palladium, platinum, tungsten...."

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/10/billionaire-teams-up-with-nasa-to-mine-the-moon.html

Or failing that.....

download.png

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman 

These metals from the moon would cost an absolute fortune - the moon rocks they bought  back cost about a billion dollars a gram.....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Ah yes but that was then and much like the price of tea and much else being brought back from the new world and elsewhere?

If there is profit driven by need then no doubt the sums will add up. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

How about the moon?

"Among the moon’s vast riches: gold, cobalt, iron, palladium, platinum, tungsten...."

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/10/billionaire-teams-up-with-nasa-to-mine-the-moon.html

Or failing that.....

download.png

Hope JC does not read posts on this forum or........

that might be in their manifesto.......A moon base so  all that wealth in those rocks can pay for all those other dreams.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@gleneagles wrote:

The single biggest consumer of Cobalt is the fossil fuel industry. It's used during the refinery process to remove the sulphur (along with terawatts of electricity) and it's single use.

EV batteries can be used in other applications after they've outlived their usefulness in an EV, and can be recycled

The MSM are pretty anti-EV and seem to love nothing more than to spread FUD...

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Some even use those EV batteries to build solar-charged "power walls" (emulating the tesla one) to bolster their energy supplies, much better use for batteries if you ask me, store power for use later when needed, rather than pootling down to Waitrose feeling smug because they have an EV (until the lights go out, of course!)... 😂

I've even taken to stripping out laptop batteries I have laying around and assembling them into what I jokingly refer to as "lithium bombs", mostly due to my haphazard wiring and taping together methods making them look a bit "suspect", the laptops may claim the cells are "dead", but they're far from it, two such packs from Samsung netbooks, both "dead, unable to charge", cells are fine and have used them for a number of 12v things happily and reliably... 😁

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@DaveyH 

What you say may be very true now but moving ahead to the future when the majority of vehicles will run on batteries how many millions, perhaps billions of batteries will need to be made....and the size of those batteries for buses and other large vehicles ?

Plus of course all the spare batteries in stock.

Of course the Cobalt can be recovered from old batteries but as stated above you need the batteries in the first place so tons of cobalt required.....and where do we get all this extra cobalt.......see my first post for the answer.