cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coaxial Cable

Fixes: 47

Coaxial Cable

I'm getting stuff together in preparation for wiring various rooms in a house with TV coaxial cable.
I received a package today with a reel of cable.
I checked the cable and noticed that the centre core is copper coated steel rather than the solid copper core I was expecting.
I read up a bit and it appears that due to the sharp increase in copper prices companies have been selling copper coated steel coax as solid copper core wire.
Indeed the site description was 'copper braided screening and copper core' neither of which were entirely accurate.
The reel is now boxed up and ready to be returned for a refund.
In my innocence I was unaware of the general availability of copper coated steel or copper coated aluminium wire of this type. Huh 
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Coaxial Cable

Hmmmm, I had a look on eBay and saw quite a few copper covered steel centres.
A Labgear one made a point of showing that their cable has Copper CSS Core & Braiding!
See here!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Get yourself some WF100, it's what's commonly used for quality aerial and satellite installations (rather than the cheap steel or alu. stuff offered by the cowboys)... Smiley
Fixes: 47

@NedLudd I did find a supplier of coax cable locally but when I read the spec it stated it had a copper coated steel core which I didn't want.
Hence my visit to Amazon where I found the solid copper cored cable I ordered and which is now going back.
@twocvbloke WF100 is the cable I now have on order Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I remember seeing a TV program several years ago ((possibly 'Fake Britain' or similar) where it was demonstrated that a very high percentage of copper cables of various types being sold were fake, and contained cores which were thinner than stated.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
In my innocence I was unaware of the general availability of copper coated steel or copper coated aluminium wire of this type. Huh 

Same goes for one and two pence pieces these days too. Couldn't have the public weighing them in for scrap could we..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Steel cored wire is perfectly OK for carrying high frequency AC currents, where the current flow is restricted by a thin surface effect. According to Wikipedia:
At 60 Hz in copper, the skin depth is about 8.5 mm. At high frequencies the skin depth becomes much smaller

e.g. at 1MHz most of the current will be transmitted by a thin surface layer only about 0.06mm thick.