Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coat/Clothes sizes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Coat/Clothes sizes

Twix

Have been looking for a new "parka" style outdoor coat... as the local shops do not seem to have any of this style... ebay has many.... however.. I have come across size problems...
My existing 10 year old model, has the label size L in it... so I naturally ordered a Size L from one supplier.... very pleased with the quality... but it was too tight... they did not have the next size, so have refunded ...
Re-ordered an XL from another ebay supplier.... this one is also too tight.... ( felt like the same size as the L from previous )...
Anyway... Just ordered another from another ebay supplier... this time XXL... as they did have a size chart....
Strange.... but the measurements they have in their size chart for XXL are near enough the same size as my current ( old ) coat... 
Would you believe it ? ? ? 
4 REPLIES
WTF
Grafter

Re: Coat/Clothes sizes

Very strange, given that the opposite has happened with women's sizes: a size 10 now would have been a size 12 a decade ago.  Apparently, companies have made the sizes bigger to make women feel better about themselves: maybe the companies think we fellas feel better about being bigger.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: shutter

Twix

Have been looking for a new "parka" style outdoor coat... as the local shops do not seem to have any of this style... ebay has many.... however.. I have come across size problems...
My existing 10 year old model, has the label size L in it... so I naturally ordered a Size L from one supplier.... very pleased with the quality... but it was too tight... they did not have the next size, so have refunded ...
Re-ordered an XL from another ebay supplier.... this one is also too tight.... ( felt like the same size as the L from previous )...
Anyway... Just ordered another from another ebay supplier... this time XXL... as they did have a size chart....
Strange.... but the measurements they have in their size chart for XXL are near enough the same size as my current ( old ) coat...   
Would you believe it ? ? ? 
SWMBO has the same problem, I just tell her to reduce the intake of cakes and biscuits and that usually solves it ! Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

One way round it is to go into a local shop which sells that brand, even if not the right style, and try one on which is nearest to it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I am on the XL to XXL (42" chest) size, but have a coat that is marked L  Cheesy But T-shirts are usually XXL+, they are designed for the "slim" man  Tongue
As OJ says you need to try them on these days as the marked size will vary with the manufacturer.