cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coalition Government ( poll )

Steve
Pro

Coalition Government ( poll )

Right forumites a long time ago I was asked to re-run this poll once our new government had a chance to set in. I think it was journeys that asked not to sure though. The time has come now though for a  new poll. You can comment as much or as little as you wish. Plusnet ( chitchat ) speak up!
Poll runs for one week. Long enough I think.
7 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Coalition Government ( poll )

they have made some good progress and they have definably tempered responses to some things (whereas the prior administration were keen to enact various knee jerk responses) but on other avenues they have had less than stellar performance.
the continual delays in putting the benefits system in order (which would go a long way to stamping out fraud within the welfare state and putting back into equilibrium some things that were left totally out of whack) have left me somewhat narked, and this continued circumstance has left the field wide open for it to be adjusted back towards favouring one armed lesbian terrorists over people that have done nothing but been loyal subjects once the labour win occurs at the next election (because there are too many people who will vote labour just because they promise to uncap the benefits system again)
in some areas though they have been impressive but sadly they haven't done much in terms of updating the almost perpetually overloaded facilities (healthcare/power distribution/water & sewage etc) and they haven't done anything about the immigration problems, if anything they have continued unabated, they did however manage to start some decent initiatives and have worked hard to secure business overseas, would of preferred them to grant a referendum on EU membership in this term though rather than making the nation wait until its no longer feasible to get out .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 124

I think, given what they inherited and the restrictions placed upon them by the LibDems, the Tories have done a reasonable job in many areas.
A stronger leadership is still required.
I'm between "Very satisfied" and "Sort of satisfied" - probably "mildly satisfied". Could that be added as an option along with midly dissatisfied?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

There were three key principles at the start of this government
1. Freedom
2. Fairness
3. Responsibility
Did they deliver?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

well certainly they have ensured that despite calls for them to do otherwise the people of the country have been allowed to remain as free as they have been for years,
they have held various people accountable for their failures (even if all they did was sack them)
some measure of fairness has been reintroduced, service veterans are now given higher priority than immigrants or convicts, whilst a week before they took office veterans were only given help if there was nobody else asking for it that week ..... that's at least fairer, and I dare say changing things so addicts no longer get paid extra to help them afford there poison is fairer on the rest of us.
however they have been prevented from discovering many of the wider problems through concerted efforts to enact cover-ups (like Rotherham) so to a degree they have fulfilled there key points but much more could and should be done !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

On certian subjects.
jobs/economy - supposedbly is a recovery well on the way now, but it seems either fake propaganda, timed, or concentrated in the south east + london only because in the midlands, anglia and north it remains bleak.
benefits - Personally I think this has been a disaster, contrary to claims DWP expenditure has gone up and the government has breached its own spending cap.  Inequality between pensioners and working age has increased, with protections given to pensioners on several cuts that have been made, the PIP that replaces DLA is a disaster so much that they scaled back its rollout but sadly it hasnt been cancelled so the unlucky ones on the postcode lottery are fated to it meaning now depending on where you live you may have different rights to help on the same disability, that cant be right, they have ramped up sanctions against sick people on ESA WRAG and continue the illegal JSA activities which some may remember the bbc news told the country the government lost a court case but then changed the law and backdated it to make their policy legal, what the bbc didnt report is that the high court has now ruled that change of law illegal as it breaches the EU convention of human rights, in addition the UN is investigating the UK regarding breaches of human rights against the disabled (also unreported by the bbc).  However more people are been allowed into ESA SG after some minor changes to the WCA system
Housing market - looks like so far this will be allowed to get out of control again.  Just a matter of time before another crash.
Immigration - seems this year immigration has rose by huge numbers and the conservatives have no realistic chance of hitting their manifesto target.
Taxation - The 0 tax threshold was raised to 10k and a further raise is planned, this is a good policy which originated from the lib dems, however most of the other tax cuts I think are bad for the country as they targeted at the rich, and in addition some benefits have had means testing removed allowing the rich to get help they dont need, whilst at the same time things like social services are getting cuts due to council budgeting cuts.
Legal system - Benefit claimants and certain prisoners have lost the right to legal aid, in my opinion a clear breach of human rights.  Not sure if this is part of the UN investigation.  This was very likely done due to the very high rate success rate of appeals against the DWP.
Housing - More houses are been built and the government is trying to get housing associations to do a higher % of single bed properties than before (but failing) however it still isnt enough and we need radical large house building programmes, but is up against public opposition who are concerned about the value of their own existing properties.  The bedroom tax is a disgrace clearly wasnt researched very well.
NHS - Its a mess, as it was before.  But PCT's have been scrapped, making it harder to complain about bad service, rumours of secret privatisation going on.  My recent trips to hospital and dealings with my GP suggest there is serious budget pressures been applied. Double bookings, lack of referrals etc.
Spin - The press banged on about this when labour were in power, and I see no difference with this government, the spin continues.
Doesnt mean I want labour in tho, as I think they are a joke as well.  In my mind politics is broken now, both parties chasing the same voters, and lib dems abandoned their policies for power.  Things may have been different if we ditched FPTP when we had a chance but it didnt happen.
Steve
Pro

Just under an hour left to anyone who missed the thread.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: M
There were three key principles at the start of this government
1. Freedom
2. Fairness
3. Responsibility
Did they deliver?

1) Absolutely not. The protection of freedoms bill stitched up every motorist across the land and took us into dangerous territory of being able to enter other people into a contract without their knowledge or consent.
2) Absolutely not. Tax breaks for the rich? Fair? Disgusting.
3) Yes but only at the cost of the poor on benefits and attacking them via ATOS etc. Financially responsible yes, morally responsible no - unless you're a rich person in bed with them.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!