cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coal prices

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Coal prices

Here at Adair Towers we still have open coal fires in some of the rooms to supplement the gas central heating. The buildings were erected in 1805 which the same year Admiral Nelson lay dying on his flagship. We're insulated, but a Grade II listing and stone walls limits the scope of insulation. So the coal fires just make that difference in the worst of winter. We use smokeless fuel even though we're not in a smokeless zone. Our usual suppliers have just notified a 3.5% rise in the price of coal. to £527 per tonne.  The world coal price is about £50/tonne.  I've found a new supplier!
Good old rip-off Britain.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
20 REPLIES
Fixes: 124

Re: Coal prices

The good ol' coal fire - I do miss it Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I don't
I can still remember trying to get a coal fire lit with a newspaper held up to the fireplace to improve the draught - whoops it caught fire  Embarrassed

Yes, I remember doing that - or my parents should I say as I was very young. Don't remember the paper ever catching fire, though.
I loved cleaning it all out in the morning ready for the next day's use Cheesy
Oh, such marvellous toast on huge fork (using bread from a baker and not the tasteless pap that is pre-sliced) and the best way to have a bit of crumpet Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

With the smokeless fuel fires we often get younger people telling us it is very realistic almost real. The main problem is disposing of the ash from the fire in these days of  recycling and fortnightly collections.

I hadn't thought of that. We used to have two bins back then one plastic (or was that rubber) that had a 'No hot ashes' sign on it and the other an aluminium (or would it have been stainless steel?) one. I think it had a funnel on it, too Undecided

Community Veteran

We have a steel coal bin in the garden where we store the ashes to cool down.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes now this is an issue that troubles me with BBQs.
When it's at home thats not so bad - leave it to the next day and clean out the ash.
What do you do though when you go to a picnic site with a portable BBQ? - The nearest one to us has no disposal facility for the ashes and the actual BBQ / ashes can stay hot for hours.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I poured water over it to cool it down
Community Veteran

A footnote. The coal was delivered today, burns well in an open grate and is smokeless. The "Homefires" we used to buy is 150% of the price of this new stuff from NationalCoal
The price includes pallet "tail gate" delivery to the road outside your house. This morning I shifted a tonne of coal to the vaults of Adair Towers with the assistance of a wheel barrow.
TORPC
Grafter

On average, how long does a TON of coal last ?Huh
Fixes: 47

@AlaricAdair
I like the door stop with the LEDs in the picture.
I used to go to bed with a shelf from the Yorkshire Range oven wrapped in a blanket in winter.
Is it still delivered in sacks carried on the coal man's shoulder...probably not.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Seeing this thread again reminded me of the days when most of the neighbourhood back in London had coal fires...
Every New Year just after midnight a neighbour used to leave a lump of coal with a pinch of salt on a saucer at the door step for good luck. This seems to be some variant of First-Footing.
Has anyone else come across this?

Fixes: 47

Yes I have.
Also as my late wife had black hair she was welcomed next door at the stroke of midnight.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
I don't
I can still remember trying to get a coal fire lit with a newspaper held up to the fireplace to improve the draught - whoops it caught fire  Embarrassed
The only place I like to see a coal fire is in a old style inn or similar premises.
As a young lad I well remember having a coal fire but no central heating so everyone got as close to the fire as possible but your back was freezing.
The hot water was heated via the back boiler which took all day to heat up and just enough for one bath.
The fire could only be made up in the morning when the ash had cooled and took ages to warm the room just at the point when you were leaving for school.
So like Oldjim I do not miss a coal fire at home, amazes me private homes still have coal fires, in addition to the cost of  Coal.