cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coal Men

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Coal Men

Some of you will remember coal men, the chaps who delivered your coal in bags off the back of a lorry.

Does anyone remember what the weight of those full bags were ?

It would have either been 56 lb or 112 lb ?

Some posh folk actually had a coal cellar, there was a grid in the pavement which could be removed to give access to the cellar.

29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Coal Men

I remember coal men delivering coal form the back of a hopper truck with a dispenser setup that filled the sacks on the go, but given I last saw one when I was about 7 (I'm now 32), I couldn't say how heavy the sacks were when filled... Grin

Still plenty people burning coal round here though, the smell of the stuff is in the air on colder days, but these days it gets delivered on the back of a pickup in pre-filled sacks from local coal merchants...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

My Neighbour has a wood burner in his living room , which he also buys smokeless coal in 25kg sacks ,, or 55 LB Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

We weren't posh but we had a cellar with a coal hole about six feet away from our front door.

If Mum was out shopping when I came home from school I would often lift the plain round cover off and drop down the hole and carefully slide down the coal pile. Then up the cellar steps and into the house. Wiping my feet of course.

I can't remember whether the sacks were a hundredweight or half.

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I remember coal men. The sacks were massive, I am sure they were 1 hundredweight, 112 lbs.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Hundredweight was the standard and then it moved to 50kg (110 lbs) and that is how I used to buy my fertilizer (from the agricultural merchants) and I think also the potting compost until it was decided that it was too heavy for the modern generation who weren't used to lifting heavy loads and it was reduced to 25kg

Community Veteran

@Oldjim

I thought they were a hundredweight so thanks for confirming that.

Our coal was left outdoors around the back of the house and they had a fairly long drive to carry it down, I seemed to remember they had some sort of thick protection on their backs.

Fixes: 125

We had a coal cupboard at the front of the house with a hatch. It didn't seem that easy to lift the bags up to empty them into it.

When we got central heating installed the cupboard was cleaned and whitewashed and became a cloakroom.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

We had a cellar where our coal was kept.

It was delivered into the cellar via an opening by the front door.

The opening was covered by a steel plate and if I came home to find my Mum was out shopping, I could move the plate and slip down into the cellar and up the stairs. The door at the cellar-head wasn't locked.

Years later I think to myself why didn't burglars use the same means to rob us.

1. There were less car owners so many more people walking up and down the road to see suspicious activity.

2. We had very little of value worth taking.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

Years later I think to myself why didn't burglars use the same means to rob us.

I used to think the same until I was passing my old house a few decades later.

And I realised the burglars would have had to be tiny or 5 or 6 years old.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

1 cwt bags or 20 to the ton. As a young boy I always ended up with the job of counting the sacks delivered to the coal hole to make sure the right amount was delivered.  The coalmen would slide the bags off the high level flatbed truck onto their upper back and then tip from their shoulder into the coal hole. So not too much lifting.

Nowadays I buy coal by the tonne in 25kg plastic bags. It comes stacked on a pallet of 40 bags. The trouble is that it is a kerbside delivery, so muggins has to shift it three bags at a time on a sack truck. While this involves 20 minutes hard work, it is a lot cheaper than garage coal or even a full delivery service by the local coalman.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@AlaricAdair

That's interesting.

I thought the use of coal fires was banned due to pollution ?

Or is it only banned in certain areas ?

Smiley

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

Or is it only banned in certain areas ?

Smiley

Some areas, particularly former mining communities, are still free from the clean air act smokeless-zone stuff, so can burn coal in open fires, even thought it's smelly and quite wasteful, but it's what they've been doing for years so they'll keep doing it...

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke

Strange that there are areas not covered by the clean air act I would have thought with all the various legislation from the EU, issues around climate change and air quality that burning of fossil fuels would be banned.

The other issue is the cost of coal, it must be one of the most expensive options for heating a private house and as you mention the least efficient.

Community Veteran

It's just a holdover from mining, houses round here were built with open fireplaces to run on coal, and a lot of them were later converted to gas or electric heating and the fireplaces closed up, but there are a few houses still with open fires (the previous house I was in had an open fire, nice to have, bloody cold though in the winter so stuffed a load of bubblewrap up the chimney when no in use) which are still used for heating water and/or heating the radiators, it's just one of them "I've been doing it for years and I'll do it 'til I die" thing that some of the older folk stick to...

As for legislation, well, this part of the country was ravaged by thatcher and her anti-labour class agendas, and of course a lot of the legislation was basically given the middle finger due to the cost of converting houses from coal to gas/electric (not to mention getting gas pipes to homes as even in the 90s there were still houses without gas), I'm sure someday it'll become a smokeless/no open fires area soon though, but for now, it's a burn all the coal you want, nowt the government can do about it... Smiley