cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clothes Drying Rack (Heated)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Clothes Drying Rack (Heated)

Anybody using or tried one of these ? I can't see that It will be any good in terms of spreading the heat equally.

My guess @ 300 watt is around 4/5 hours drying time @ 11.4p per KW hour /1000x300=3.42 x 5=17.1p.

A 2.5kw dryer would work out around 28.5 for an hour. BUT! with a  drying rack my clothes won't shrink.

Any thoughts welcomed.

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Clothes Drying Rack (Heated)

I will be interested in any replies, as I have also been considering buying one.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

SWMBO considered it, but she argued with herself  'somehow you need to get the dampness out of the room'.

She finally settled for a room dehumidifier and a cheapo drying rack from Argos.

With the drying rack fully loaded the dehumidifier extracts 20 litres of water over an 8 hour period,

Uses 240w per hour (ie 22p, more expensive than the drying rack, but doesn't shrink clothes. 

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

journeys wrote:

... With the drying rack fully loaded the dehumidifier extracts 20 litres of water over an 8 hour period,

That seems to be a lot of residual water from the clothing, especially if it's been spun!

Or perhaps you have a large amount of washing  Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've a rather useful device that dries clothes slowly and also vents accumulated humidity to the outdoor world, it's a tumble dryer with a low heat setting... Crazy

Community Veteran

RobPN wrote:

That seems to be a lot of residual water from the clothing, especially if it's been spun!

probably also collecting moisture from the utility room.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

We run a dehumidifier and don't get anywhere near 20, maybe 5 to 10 but we double spin everything at 1400 first.

I hadn't thought about containing the washing in one room though as we push everything around the radiators to catch morning/evening cycle. Our dehumidifier is 440 watt full blast, so maybe we will give that a try with a simple rack first.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Like others I have thought about one but talked myself out of it as there are just the two of us so we are not washing stuff every day.

From what I can work out a tumble dryer costs about 40p for 1 hour of drying, this rack costs 6p per hour but that raises tho questions for me,

1. Will this drying rack dry all your clothes including bath towels etc in 1 hour ? if not, how long will it take.

2. Assuming you have an efficient tumble dryer how long will it be before you recoup the cost of the dryer rack ?

There is also the question of space, perhaps it folds down, if not some people might have a problem where to keep it.

Minivanman
Hero

We've got one of these Wink

WashingLine_initial-sketch.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

In the UK, when it's too wet or cold to hang clothes out to dry, we use one or more of these.

Tesco Airer.jpg

Clothes hung up around 8am, are dry by 3pm most days.

We have it set up in a small Toilet room, and just leave the window ajar.

We use 4 pegs on Boxers & Polo Shirts, creating a gap in the middle of each item, to ensure good air circulation.

Sometimes, we do have to Top & Tail Large Towels, but generally not.

TBH we tend to Tumble Dry large Towels, 'cos we like 'em "Soft & Fluffy"

In Hong Kong though, it's a different matter, almost exclusively we Tumble Dry everything we can.

This is a fairly normal sight as you wander round HK at the moment, the High Rise "Flats" are really quite small, so any washing is hung out in/off the balcony, by the residents.

HK Dry 2.jpg

High Temperatures, but also High humidity.

Many resident have those pull out string dryers across the bath.

Fortunately, our Friends & Family tend to live in larger accommodation, across the River

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

We've got one of these Wink

WashingLine_initial-sketch.jpg

Yes but what do you do if it's damp or raining, ?

What you need is 6 lath victorian vintage ceiling pulley maid clothes airer.

Bet you have seen a few of those when you were a young lad !

Wink

Community Veteran

If you go to Argos and order 4 of these  http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6144616?storeId=10151&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fprod... overdoor airers, 2 for £15. It stacks with 25% off orders over £25 (this discount is on full price not discounted price). Using code HOME25.

When you get the item you get 4 of these  http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6049780?storeId=10151&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fprod...

They are £24.99 each.

You get 4 of these for £17.01.  They are stock numbered incorrectly in Argos. You do get the more expensive , freestanding one.  Or you could select any 4 of the 2 for £15 items, and get them all for between £14 and £20.

is taking advantage of this glitch immoral?