cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

Luzern
Champion
Posts: 4,158
Thanks: 626
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎31-07-2007

Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

I bred the wind and took the for the short trip to the local Tesco Express. Having gone to the manned checkout, and told the total, I chose to give coin for the odd pence and give a ltenner note as well to get a smaller one inex change.

I counted it all out carefully, but was taken aback to receive no note but a fist of coin heavier than what I had before.

I had thought the clerk said, 'five pounds and 55 pence'; no it was 65 pence.

I'm thinking if I was stupid to try my idea out at all. Was he inept in not realising my intention from my actions and telling me more coin was needed?

My need of new aids is disputed. Those I have are quite new. Yes, and apart from this story I know I'm an idiot.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
47 REPLIES 47
TTman
Pro
Posts: 353
Thanks: 196
Registered: ‎26-01-2019

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

@Luzern Your mistake was thinking the clerk would use his brain..probably not paid enough for that!!!Funny

wotsup
Aspiring Champion
Posts: 533
Thanks: 579
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

Most younger assistants do not like currency, they prefer cards ( they have grown up in a world of cards ), if you do offer them currency keep it simple and either pay the exact amount or a bigger note, any offer of random extra money to ensure you only get a note back confuses the hell out of them - their brain goes into overload.  My wife was always one to offer coins to make change easier for them to give and try to ensure she didn't get a purse full of shrapnel back, and it used to work, but nowadays she has given up after causing utter confusion with new crop of assistants..... all they want is nice simple card payments..... contactless if possible.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Posts: 8,638
Thanks: 2,554
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎04-11-2014

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

@Luzern 

Blimey, "cloth ears" - not heard that Lancashire expression since I was called that back in the 50s. Tongue

@wotsup 

I hear you. The Mrs had a part time job in a seaside gift shop a few years back and would tell me about how dim and daft some of the much younger staff were when it came to working out change for customers. Before heading off into the wide world, she worked part time in her father's cafe so doing quick calculations was easy-peasy.

How times change, even when change cannot be worked out!

Community Veteran
Posts: 6,244
Thanks: 1,129
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎23-09-2010

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended


@Minivanman wrote:

Blimey, "cloth ears" - not heard that Lancashire expression since I was called that back in the 50s. Tongue

I had an old mate those surname was Clothier so you can guess what his nickname was.

Like you say it's been a long time since I've heard that expression.

Every time someone struggles with giving me the right change I always wonder how they would do with a manual £sd till.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,570
Thanks: 841
Fixes: 8
Registered: ‎05-09-2016

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

I think I once mentioned in another thread that the customer service staff at a branch of one of the large supermarket chains had to use a calculator to calculate the refund when I was charged 99p instead of the marked 87p, the calculator was then brought into use again to multiply 12p by three since I had bought three of the chocolate bars in question.

I have also mentioned that the self-service tills have been programmed to give change in the most annoying coinage, presumably in an attempt to steer the custormer towards paying by card.  E.g. 2p, 10p, and 50p coins are not part of the float, and even when they have those coins due to customers having paid with them, they prefer to spew out five 2p coins when 10p change is required, while giving two 1p coins when 2p change is required.  I think the worst example I've come across was getting ten 2p coins and six 5p coins when I was due 50p in change.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 900
Thanks: 256
Fixes: 2
Registered: ‎25-07-2007

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

Mental arithmetic is a dying skill, I blame the demise of the pub dartboard and crib table....

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,570
Thanks: 841
Fixes: 8
Registered: ‎05-09-2016

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

The youngsters see no need to do basic maths; they have a calculator on their phone, a calculator on their tablet, a calculator on their laptop, a calculator on their desktop, and even a calculator on their calculator!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Posts: 8,638
Thanks: 2,554
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎04-11-2014

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

@Jonpe 

Very true, but they need to know what it is the are calculating, and many don't. 

"What are these funny looking mixed up round things that all seem to have differed values?" Roll eyes

I remember an overseas friend of mine who was well used to £sd from her many visits to the UK, trying to explain the then new decimal coin system to somebody... but not to me I hasten to add! 

Luzern
Champion
Posts: 4,158
Thanks: 626
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎31-07-2007

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended


@wotsup wrote:

Most younger assistants do not like currency, they prefer cards ( they have grown up in a world of cards ), if you do offer them currency keep it simple and either pay the exact amount or a bigger note, any offer of random extra money to ensure you only get a note back confuses the hell out of them - their brain goes into overload.  My wife was always one to offer coins to make change easier for them to give and try to ensure she didn't get a purse full of shrapnel back, and it used to work, but nowadays she has given up after causing utter confusion with new crop of assistants..... all they want is nice simple card payments..... contactless if possible.


@wotsup Next time I'll look for a grey or balding assistant.D: Actually I use cards a lot, but the credit card is not due for renewal until later in year, when it should become contactless. It's surprising how small a transaction cards are used for like a few minutes trip on our town circular bus.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Champion
Posts: 4,158
Thanks: 626
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎31-07-2007

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended


@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern 

Blimey, "cloth ears" - not heard that Lancashire expression since I was called that back in the 50s. Tongue

@wotsup 

I hear you. The Mrs had a part time job in a seaside gift shop a few years back and would tell me about how dim and daft some of the much younger staff were when it came to working out change for customers. Before heading off into the wide world, she worked part time in her father's cafe so doing quick calculations was easy-peasy.

How times change, even when change cannot be worked out!


@Minivanman  An unrepentant southerner, Essex, cloth ears was well known to me; never knew it was from Lancs.

Your final sentence seems to be very true in more aspects than this thread, our anti- Nostradamus! Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Posts: 8,638
Thanks: 2,554
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎04-11-2014

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

@Luzern 

Used for those that worked in the cotton mills - who probably had ears full of fluff or whatever. Smiley  

Luzern
Champion
Posts: 4,158
Thanks: 626
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎31-07-2007

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

@Jonpe  You mentioned calculators. It was until well after the mid seventies that my bank permitted calculators for currency conversion.

Imagine being at a busy counter, and having to convert 583 @2.4568 to the £.Evil

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Champion
Posts: 4,158
Thanks: 626
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎31-07-2007

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended


@Champnet wrote:

Mental arithmetic is a dying skill, I blame the demise of the pub dartboard and crib table....


@Champnet  Crib table?! These days they interecept the A Level papers to get good marks.Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,634
Thanks: 811
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

@Luzern not meaning to be rude here but your posts are becoming harder to understand with each post you make. It's almost like you're talking 17th century speak..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!