cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

TTman
Pro

Re: Cloth Ears returns mode laden than intended

@Mav  My father was an accountant( this is 60years ago) and the the firm he worked for the owner always insisted he checked any account that other has used a calculator to produce to make sure it was correct as he always did the calculations in his head can never remember him using a calculator. Also when I worked for myself and was writing the bill out I always worked the VAT (17.5% at the time) in my head...10% of bill plus half plus half of that again....easy!!Cool smileySmiley

Luzern
Champion
Fixes: 5

Didn't assistants use something called 'counting on' to work out change?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
wotsup
Aspiring Champion

@Mav wrote:

Trouble with the yufe of today using a calculator is not being able to estimate the result first. If that's what the calculator displays then it must be right irrespective of any wrong inputsRoll eyes

Can well remember using a slide rule and you have to know the approximate answer before you started as the slide rule just gave a number and you had to put the decimal point in the correct place, meant you became good at 'estimating' an answer in your head.

Highlighted
Luzern
Champion

Didn't assistants use something called 'counting on' to work out change?

Going deeper for along time it has seemed that the calculator has caused loss of principles of any sort of maths, so for example results are accepted, when a rough manual estimate would show up a basic error. Computers cope with loads of data, but when someone hamburgers the input, it's nearly impossible to sort out.

Where I worked a commercial customer had two accounts, each with different overdraft rates, and any credit balance on one was set against the other for a small interest fee. The computer coped well, but what it couldn't do was  sort out the mess, when we found a change in terms had been input improperly.  No one spotted the error for over 6 months.

Monies in did not reduce the overdraft until cleared-  3 to 5 days, so everything had to be worked; a manual nightmare. Boss said to get my recalculations checked. All the victim could do was to look seriously puzzled and add his mark.ShockedGrin

He was much younger than I.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

In my younger days I spent hours sitting with one of the girls in the office who was showing me how to operate her comptometer....

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

@gleneagles wrote:

we certainly do not need another referendum, irrespective of the topic, indeed the word should be banned, it's caused enough trouble.

Smiley

We don't need a referendum, we could have a people's vote, which is totally different, and if that's also considered unsuitable, how about a members' vote, which or course is totally different again.

Just for clarity, I vote to keep him (as long as we can keep our sovereignty, and he doesn't start recruiting for his own army).

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Jonpe 

How is a people's vote different from a referendum?

Just asking. Smiley

Luzern
Champion

@Jonpe wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

we certainly do not need another referendum, irrespective of the topic, indeed the word should be banned, it's caused enough trouble.

Smiley

We don't need a referendum, we could have a people's vote, which is totally different, and if that's also considered unsuitable, how about a members' vote, which or course is totally different again.

Just for clarity, I vote to keep him (as long as we can keep our sovereignty, and he doesn't start recruiting for his own army).

@Jonpe What an idea! I'll think about working on it.Funny

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

@Jonpe 

How is a people's vote different from a referendum?

Because the Remainers say it is.

TTman
Pro

@Jonpe  But dont we have to have a referendum before we have a peoples vote?Funny

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Tomato tomatoes... let's call the whole thing off. Thumbs Up

Fixes: 308

@TTman wrote:

Also when I worked for myself and was writing the bill out I always worked the VAT (17.5% at the time) in my head...10% of bill plus half plus half of that again....easy!!Cool smileySmiley

That's another issue with using calculators - the wonder of numbers is lost. Numbers can create patterns which make many calculations easier. As above, breaking down a calculation can also make it so much easier.

Mental arithmetic: We were forced (and hated) to learn it back in the day but it has held me in good stead over the years!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 15

In agreement with the comments about calculators.

It's so easy to input an incorrect digit, sign etc; I never trust a result without making a mental estimate first.

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Luzern
Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Tomato tomatoes... let's call the whole thing off. Thumbs Up

@Minivanman You mean the big B?Angel

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Numbers have always been my nemesis. 

Could never add up for toffee or learn my times tables. As for subtraction, well even my past love of darts never cured me of my inability to take a double away from a treble... unless it was a whiskey.

Hated maths with a passion at school, and have always maintained that I must suffer from some sort of arithmetic dyslexia. Funny thing was I found algebra and geometry a breeze, but two plus two minus one was (and still is) just about my limit.

I can tell the time though. Smiley