cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing ceremony

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Closing ceremony

I started a thread for the opening ceremony.
Any comments about the closing ceremony?
I have, how come George Michael deserved such a long session?
But, well produced though it undoubtedly was?? I think it went on too long and was too much centred on modern Brit pop music history. Was suffering ceremony fatigue by the end of it...could easily been an hour shorter without losing any of its impact.
Mind you, I should think its got Rio worried about trying to emulate it even with their love of showmanship.
Oh yes, where was Wills?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES
GrahamC
Grafter

Re: Closing ceremony

This quote from the Guardian Live Blog sums it up for me:
Just think: two weeks ago the world thought we were rubbish at sport and great at music

A two week feast of the very best in sport, but this dip into the British rock/pop scene, just didn't do it for me  Huh
Highlights: the Athletes and Eric Idle / Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
Community Veteran

@Petlew, it was announced last week that Wills would not attend as he was on duty.
Technically the closing ceremony was brilliant.  Apparently they were still assembling the set at 5pm and as a result there was no time to rehearse before the show started.  The director did a marvelous job.  Some of the acts were very good, I even liked the Spice Girls.  Take That were also good.  I had a tear in my eye as Lennon sang Imagine but who was the fantastic girl who sang it at the end of the BBC presentation?
Fixes: 47

I was surprised to see a friend of mine on stage in The Who set.
Next time I speak to him I'll ask him how much of the show was mimed versus live Wink
I could tell George Michael was live.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
kdoug007
Grafter

well said PETLEW..   , i  thought    that also ,, why  george,,  was  on the stage  for  so long,,,
 emmmm
apart  from that it was  truly  awesome....
 THE   DANCING ,, THE  COSTUMES  WOW...  the  music....
 SO  the  flags  are put away  ,, the olympic  torch   is put  out..
and  the athletes   return to there  homes...
READ  today  that  hundreads  of  olympic   volanteers  are at   heathrow  today,,,
 to clap and  say good  bye  to  the athletes..
OH I BETTER  STOP    AM  ABOUT TO SHED  ANOTHER  TEAR!!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I enjoyed it much more for the spectacle than the music. The pixels worked well. Am I right in thinking that only after well into the closing ceremony that they started to be used in colour? In the opening ceremony I only recall white lights.
No one who I had seen interviewed would admit to looking forward to the Spice Girls but they got big applause from the crowd. On the other hand they caused Boris, "Call Me Dave" and SamCam to get up and "dance" which was not a good thing.
I too thought that it was never going to end. lowering of flag (nearly done?),  hand over to Rio (can't be much longer?), extinguishing of the flame (that must be all!) but still it went on.
I am not sure that much thought went into the songs chosen. Apart from the National Anthem, the opening ceremony had Jerusalem and Abide With Me which would not appeal to those with other religions or none. The closing ceremony had John Lennon imagining how much better the world would be without religion (that won't have gone down well in many places) and Take That in uniform-inspired costumes announcing we could rule the World!
Sticking one's tongue out is impolite but not much of an insult in the UK. Would Jessie J have caused great offence in some parts of the World?  Jemini got the UK "nul points" after this gesture in Eurovison though that may have been for singing off-key and / or political reasons.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

i thought they all put on a good show, well done to everyone  Smiley
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 47

I did find it quite lengthy and actually preferred the opening ceremony.
It was very good to see the long applause for the volunteers, well deserved.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Bit long but well organized.
Seems transport, strikes, security did not turn out to be a big problem like some thought it would.
Well done to all those taking part, must take up a big chunk of your life to train up to that standard and perform in front of such crowds.
Community Veteran

George Michael is a good singer but his choice of second song was not good.  It appears that it is his latest recording so he was after a cheap plug Wink  I have also always liked Annie Lennox but she didn't do too well last night. Still a good show though Smiley
jmd
Grafter

Too long, poor sound quality and what on earth was that fellow doing singing about being a Walrus?
If they were going to have Beatles hits they should have Love Me Do and other more popular ones.  Loved the John Lennon bit.
Went to bed though after the Octopus decided could not stand any more!! Roll eyes

Thought the Opening Ceremony was much much better.
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmdlp
Thought the Opening Ceremony was much much better.

Well, somewhat better in my opinion.
Though I did like the whole Psychedlia thing including Russell Brand's Walrus - maybe it's because I was there in the 60's and just about remember some of it?  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jmdlp
Went to bed though after the Octopus

Quite expected Ringo to jump out and sing Yellow Submarine, would have been good for audience participation.
" A good plenty of noise and coloured light show", just right for a party, IMO should have had more dance music, didn’t like the Freddy Mercury image bit, "Queen" was overplayed. Thought the spice girls were tasked with too-much (trying to get the audience to clap there hands above their head...........leading by example.........whilst trying to hang onto the roof of a speeding cab).