Did you mean: 

Closed tube stations

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Closed tube stations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25576814
I like the caption on the last picture!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Closed tube stations

I never realised there were so many - around 40 of them.
Fixes: 125

They look pretty eerie.
Bet those walls could tell a few stories Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I also have a fascination with these and other railway remains such as tunnels, stations etc. Underground stations that are disused though do have something else about them. I suppose its the fact that they're not really exposed to the elements and can be preserved for decades without much deterioration.
Tunnels are interesting structures, if you ever find a disused one some where they are very quirky structures to walk up to as they're so tall! There are even the odd one or two that still have tracks running through them even though BR closed them moons ago.
Tell you what though, if you find disused underground stations interesting, don't watch this film cos you'll never think of them the same way again!:
Creep
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

There was a thread on 150 years of the London Underground early last year which you may like to revisit as it contains more photos and info.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Quote from: 7up
Tunnels are interesting structures

I live near Totley Tunnel and have travelled through it many times.
I used to find the entrances very scary close up but even now I wouldn't dare walk through it, even disused.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You do have to be careful walking through disused tunnels. Most are ok but there are some where gases lurk either from stagnant water or other nastys that have been dumped or found their way there. Some are also flooded and the resulting effects are not good. I visited one a year or two back that had been flooded (BR filled in the far end and the cutting with garbage to make a few quid). The result being that rain water would seep into the tunnel from the trash and then just sit there. While the tunnel didn't smell, I'd be very cautious about venturing into it.
Another one i visited was pretty short and had very good ventilation. The down side is that 1/;3rd into it the stench of sewage from the sewage line running through it became overwhelming. Needless to say I got out quick and never did get to the other portal to see it.
I found a great hidden gem a while back in someones back garden too. Very short and under a road that had trees either side of it. I found out it was a legend amongst the locals as many had heard of it but never seen it. I found it and it turned out to be part of someones back garden! Needless to say he was more than happy to let me see it and being pretty short (literally the length of the width of the road above) it was quite easy to walk through.
The former BRBR apparently had 5 tunnels on their books that were so dangerous they refused to maintain or even inspect them.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!