cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close down the BBC because of the Saville affair?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Close down the BBC because of the Saville affair?

In the topic http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108725.0.html the following suggestion has been made:
Quote from: JamesM
I think it is about time everybody stopped paying their TV license, one person will not make a difference but if everybody stops paying then it will. The license fee is paying a company that hides peadophiles and pays their wages. When the lawsuits begin the BBC will hopefully go the way of the news of the world. I hope someone grows a pair and shuts this lying, underhanded company down.

Do you agree?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
34 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Close down the BBC because of the Saville affair?

Personally I voted in favour of any BBC personnel, who aided a cover-up, being held to account.
One can only hope the suggestion that it would even be possible to shut down the BBC was tongue in cheek as it's about as impossible as the Irish attempt to reach the moon using scaffolding  Cool
Community Veteran

Yes the BBC should be closed down. They've done a lot to aid the cover up of Saville and his dirty mobs disgusting activities.
The BBC should be scrapped and a replacement broadcaster setup to take its place. The workers will be Tupee'd over and so ultimately the management of the BBC who have been covering up these dirty secrets will all be out of a job. The new management will then be able to make a clean start with a clean slate and impose new ways of working instead of the old BBC "We're untouchable" way of thinking that is has become so comfortable with.
That is the point here, the BBC has become comfortable with being above the law. That will never change unless you have a radical overhaul. The only way to do that is to get rid of the attitude completely. With the BBC the only way to do it is scrap all the top end management and replace the entire lot with a new corporate identity that will make them all realise that YES they ARE touchable and NOT above the law.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

I also voted for the second option as I wouldn't want Sky even as a backup choice.
If the BBC was to close down Sky and/or Virgin would mop up and there would be little left in the way of customers for a 'new BBC'.......entirely hypothetical though.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think you should add another question:
The BBC should remain but, a serious review should be made to its management structure and population by and independent body.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I've added that option and asked the moderators to enable people to remove and recast their vote.

Vote change enabled.
Community Veteran

Well its apparently enabled me to remove my previous vote but not to change my vote to the new category.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

To be clear TUPE covers ALL employees including management
Fixes: 105

Getting rid of it all seems a tad overkill, and if they were to go what fills the gap of 5 live, radio 4, 3, world service etc. In terms of % of employees who knew and actively covered up would be fairly small in terms of all employees though there is very serious failings at a senior management and these need to be rooted out.
Virgin aren't producers of applications and we've seen the corruptness of Sky (although not in the same league as this appears).
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Well its apparently enabled me to remove my previous vote but not to change my vote to the new category.

Strange! Once you've removed your vote you should get the page as if you've never voted which allows you to cast a fresh vote. Try refreshing the page.

I tried it with a standard account and it worked fine.
Fixes: 125

I voted for "The BBC should remain but, a serious review should be made to its management structure and population by an independent body. ".
I'm concerned that this is becoming a witch hunt and, potentially, some innocent people may be put on the block just to satisfy the masses want for blood. Understandable but how can unequivocal proof be found for those who were culpable or otherwise kept their silence over the actions of a few?
Just my pennies-worth.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

About an hour later on a different PC and I still can't re-vote.

James
Grafter

Click on remove vote at the top.