Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clogged up

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Clogged up

As if getting clogged up roads with weekend cyclists was not enough.

With Easter approaching, here in Wales we have these slow moving numbskulls to look forward to. Why can't they sod off to Scotland for their holidays? Wink

16729562_1288289061255257_8720976952947463213_n (1).jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Clogged up

That's because they all wait till the summer!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

You do realise that by LAW caravans are limited to 50mph on normal roads. Never mind that the law was set when the standard car was a Austin A10! (or similar)

My van will happily tow at motorway speeds but since I don't want a ticket/points I stick to the limit. Another point is that unless I can see you in the mirrors I don't know you are there (same as a lorry). I do check behind me regularly and if I see a place where a car can overtake me I do indicate that they can, and pull over when I can to let traffic pass, however on that road shown there are NO passing places big enough for a unit to park in.

Don't worry I will no be coming down to Wales this Easter (never go out at Easter any more, nothing is open!). Durham/N. Yorks is where you can usually find me.

I am sure there are other caravan's on here, just as there are other radio hams.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Agree with HB....

However.........

<My missus decided we should have a caravan, so that we could take the grandkids on hols... I was never keen on the idea... but had to succumb to the pressure... I hated every mile, every minute, every corner, every junction, every hill, and everyone else , who was cursing me...

and it wasn`t really my fault...!Huh

I always kept an eye on the tailback following me.... and many a time, I pulled into a layby just to let it all pass, before trundling along.... and gain more followers...

I hated having to find the site... then having to get the `van parked in the right spot.. and then having to install an extra room on the outside, and all the rest of the stuff we had inside,.... it was "ok" while we were "there"... but when it was time to go, it was another BIG CHORE... I hated having to remove the awning... pack it away...pack all the stuff in the `van so that its weight was evenly spread across the axle... double check the lights were working... and that the tow hitch was done correctly... with the anti-swing bar in position..

. and then the long drag back home,

with all the above hates going through my mind all the way.. Unpack it at home.....

. and then have to drive another 7 miles to the storage place, and try to back it into the space between two other far more posh and expensive units...  was lousy at that so just unhitched it and had to man handle it into place !..

The final straw was the last day of a holiday (?) in Cornwall.... on the day we were leaving, it rained hard from about 0400 onwards... and of course,... that meant getting soaking wet with trying to get a soaking wet awning and all the stuff packed away.. 

what a miserable existence...Cry.

Glad to say, we sold it on... and I have never looked back.... best thing we ever did was to get rid of that snail that kept following us around !..

Never went to Wales in it... I would not be so unkind to the Welsh people.....Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

That's quite a description shutter, and I would never mean to be unkind to unkind to caravan owners either but like cyclists, they can be an unintended nuisance dammit!   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman Each to his own.... an acquaintance of ours, at the time of ownership, said... " welcome to "The Shed Draggers Club"... !.. and that is how I think of them now... 25 years on !..

Even after owning a caravan for one season, I still think they should be banned from all roads except between the hours of midnight until 0500 every day...

Community Veteran

They've long been described in our family as "mobile road blocks".  I reckon CD30 would be a reasonable penalty for a caravan driver who doesn't pull over when a long queue has built up behind him/her.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, although it was all 'tongue in cheek' as they say. Big bugbear around here are tractors that do not pull over, do not indicate if and when they do, seem to operate under a different set of rules when it comes to lack of numbers plates. and all made worse if they are pulling a muck spreader.... and don't get me started about mud on the road! Wink 

Community Veteran

Now mud on the road that is a REAL hazard for bikers. You come round a corner and suddenly your bike is sliding to the side totally out of control. Not a lot you can do if you are not vertical at that point.

Personally the people I would like banned from the roads are the ones who do 40mph no matter where they are, In town or on the motorway. When you get stuck behind one of them with a caravan it isn't easy to get past, as you need a lot more room than a single car does. I have had people TRY to pass me thinking the numpty with the caravan is holding everybody up then they find the real numpty in front of me and they have no where to pull in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have had a few holidays in caravans but they were ones you could hire on site, never fancied owning or towing one.

Not sure why anyone would want one, would a mobile home not be a better option ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

HairyMcbiker wrote:
Now mud on the road that is a REAL hazard for bikers. You come round a corner and suddenly your bike is sliding to the side totally out of control. Not a lot you can do if you are not vertical at that point.

And not just mud, piles of wet leaves, Black ice, spilt diesel and lots more.
Bikes are great fun but high risk, a lot of accidents are caused to bikers by other road users.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles
well mobile home = mot + insurance + tax per year, then add the fact that they are 4-5* more expensive than caravans. Use loads of fuel all the time. Difficult to park in normal carparks.
Caravan parked on my drive, do my own servicing on it. Costs more when towing but economical when parked up. No problems parking car