cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clocking the miles covered by second hand cars

pin2011
Grafter

Clocking the miles covered by second hand cars

I heard on the news (today??) that some gooduns in Honest Yorkshire have been 'clocking' the mileage on second hand cars and then selling them on Auto trader.
The thing which surprised me about the item, was it claimed that one car had 200,000 miles removed from the cars history and all the documents were allegedly forged to cover the
the actual miles covered.  Cool
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Clocking the miles covered by second hand cars

It's not new.. it's a practice thats been around for years. Years ago you had to dismantle half the dashboard to get to the numbers behind the dashboard and knock some miles off. These days you just plug in a laptop to an OBD socket, tap in the new mileage and hit enter. It's actually become EASIER for clockers now.
Even if you don't knock of huge milages, you can still knock off smaller ones to increase the value. Say you've got a car that had 65000 on the clock when you acquired it. The MOT recorded a mileage at 52000. You can still knock off 12k and increase the cars value by several hundred pounds to a thousand ore more and because it's not lower than the last MOTs recorded mileage...
We've got a clocked car on the drive. We never knew it had been done but I have a friend who works for the company. He looked it up and found that at 9000 miles the dials were replaced under warranted and the mileage wasn't transferred. It's now on 81k so realistically its 90k. Doesn't worry me as we're not planning on getting rid of it but to think.. this was a main dealer who screwed with the mileage and thats illegal.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My P reg Sintra is only 39,000. Honest Guv.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

We've got a clocked car on the drive. We never knew it had been done but I have a friend who works for the company. He looked it up and found that at 9000 miles the dials were replaced under warranted and the mileage wasn't transferred. It's now on 81k so realistically its 90k. Doesn't worry me as we're not planning on getting rid of it but to think.. this was a main dealer who screwed with the mileage and thats illegal.

that is not illegal, but the Dealer who did change the Odometer, should have put a record on file somewhere.
This came up just this week on BBC Essex, a phone in with a car dealer Honest guv  http://www.mjsteptoe.co.uk/
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre

that is not illegal, but the Dealer who did change the Odometer, should have put a record on file somewhere.

Yeah they did - re-read my text again. My friend works for the manufacturer and found the information. The thing is it IS illegal to sell a clocked car and not tell the purchaser it's been clocked irrespective of wether the manufacturer has any record of it or not. That is my point.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It can help to get all the old MOTs when buying a car.
True these can be forged but for the amount of money I pay for a car it would hardly be worth anyone's time or trouble.
Community Veteran

I wouldn't even bother looking at old MOTs for mileages. You can do it online instead and that can't be forged Wink
It doesn't tell you how many miles the car has done since the last MOT (and it could of been really ragged) but the closer it is to the last MOT the better idea you get.