cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Climbing Everest

Community Veteran

Climbing Everest

After being a fan of "Deadliest Climb" on Discovery I have found myself with an urge to climb everest which is growing stronger by the day.
This is obviously not something you can get up one day and just do. Recently I have being seriously considering putting a long term financial and training plan in place to do this. I am 27 and and not currently at peak fitness but I am in full health. I have recently started a new job that should hopefully see me financially comfortable in the future. I currently have little or no climbing experience but would be willing to learn.
Has anyone done this? Am I being completely unrealistic?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Climbing Everest

In the Daily Mail "Questions and Answers" column recently, a question was asked about the worlds toughest climb, I admit I only skimmed the very comprehensive answer. It wasn't Everest, but I think one of the range that includes K2. However, that wasn't my point; the answer also went on to briefly catalogue the climbing history of Everest, and the high number of largely inexperienced climbers killed attempting it. May I respectfully suggest you get some experience first, try something a little less ambitious, in the Lake District perhaps.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Njal
Grafter

Have a look at:
http://www.k2news.com/statisti.htm
The statistics might worry you! Presumably improvements in gear have brought the death rates down over the last few years.
A friend of mine climbed Kilimanjaro (about 19350 feet) a few years ago and one of the members of the party she was with died of altitude sickness on the top. Altitude sickness seems to strike in a fairly random manner, you can climb without trouble for years and then one day.....
I'm with Petlew, start in this country, learn hill navigation and survival techniques, see whether you like it.
Prepare for knackered knees..... I know!
Regards,
Neil
Denzil
Grafter

You could do worse than to find a local mountaineering/climbing club. Start in the UK, build up to the Alps, perhaps, and see how you get on. It is a bit late for this year, but to get a taster you could try a winter course at <a href="http://www.pyb.co.uk" target="_blank">Plas y Brenin</a>.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thanks for that Njal, guessed the actual figures would be on the web somewhere. I think it's significant that the death rate has not dropped at all over the last 10 years compared to the previous 10, when presumably techniques and equipment have improved.
I should perhaps point out the truth in this case of the truism at the bottom of my posts.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.