cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cliff Richard Court Case

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cliff Richard Court Case

@Mav wrote:- They don't repay part month, though.

Just the same as the DVLA on road tax refunds.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah I see what you all mean, it is like any company you pay - whether it is a government tax or an actual service.

I had one fairly recently where I paid for a VPS for shared hosting. It was running Windows Server 2007 I think. Ok as the latter part of the name suggests it is getting a bit old and end of life.

I was only using it to host e-mail and had my domain MX records pointing to it.

Luckily a friend before this incident told me that POP3 is bad (better not break the swear filter here :smiley:), and why not use Exchange hosting from Microsoft instead.

So I did, changed my domains MX records and OK it is costing me £100 per year but worth it.

The VPS company charged me £150 for another year, then a couple of weeks the VPS was dead. Couldn't remote desktop into it, nothing. When I asked the company what was going on, they essentially said "We don't support Windows 2007 anymore, and why not try our sister company - they'll give you 3 months for free".

So I am thinking "Wonderful, you take down the VPS without telling me (okay fair enough it was an old OS) and offer me 3 months free of a service from a different company when I have paid you for 12".

What happened to the other 9 months then?

My point is a company will take advantage (still trying to not break the swear filter) if you let them. How easy would it have been to give a month or two notice, to say "These VPS's are being discontinued, here are new ones. Migrate your data and DNS to these new ones we've set up for you and change your DNS".

Got a refund in the end.

So digressing a bit (sorry again all), but the story is companies, like the TV Tax people will try it on and steal a proportion of a service you have paid for.

I am surprised they get away with it - they will if you let them.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I notice TV Licensing ask for date of birth if you are 74 so you won't be charged after the age of 75, but not having reached that age yet I don't know whether it's worked out by the day or you have to pay for the whole month that your 75th birthday falls in.

Fixes: 390

Quite a few times when browsing the channels I've come across a movie I like so begin watching it.

The movie is on a commercial channel so very soon there's an ad break.

I hate ad breaks in movies so I start channel hopping again or switch off and do something else.

Scrap the TV licence and turn the BBC into a commercial channel? :shocked:

That would have me doing lots more housework, shopping, browsing the web, gaming or moderating this forum.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran

@Strat At least you can't criticise us now for taking this thread off topic:wink:

Fixes: 390

Perish the thought that I would ever criticise you for anything @artmo.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Jonpe wrote:

I notice TV Licensing ask for date of birth if you are 74 so you won't be charged after the age of 75, but not having reached that age yet I don't know whether it's worked out by the day or you have to pay for the whole month that your 75th birthday falls in.

My wife's birthday is in June, and we've been on free licence for some years. As commencement date for current is 1 June, I'd say it is issued for the birthday month.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

Perish the thought that I would ever criticise you for anything @artmo.

Many do though - can you believe it!  :smiley:

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

@Luzern  So they still issue you with a licence, you just don't pay for it?  My birthday is a few days before the end of a month so if i live that long I should get the whole of that month free?

Didn't some conservative think tank suggest just after the 2015 election that this benefit be abolished forthwith because the elderly would, by the time of the next election, have forgotten which party had abolished it.  Probably a good thing they kept it considering that, as events turned out, the next election was only two years later and they needed every vote they could get and still didn't get a majority.

Community Veteran

Licence fees for the over75s are paid for by the BBC not the government as part of their Charter negotiations.

Like all benefits there were several calls for this benefit to be scrapped along with the Winter Fuel Allowance. After consideration it was agreed not to alter the present arrangements.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

Don't mess with the old folk, they may be confused but they can always find the polling station! :grin:

Luzern
Hero

@Jonpe I recall such kites from the rabid right too.

By now we should be over BEEB bashing, so getting back to the thread theme, we know Cliff is a very rich man. He has won in court with substantial damages. Does he need to enforce them in full?  I'm thinking Christian forgiveness.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

I think it's fair that he keeps enough to pay his legal fees, why should he be out of pocket by this. Any balance I would like to see him donate to charity. So far I've not heard anything from him on this issue.

Fixes: 387

I don't see what he does with the money as being anyone else's business except his own.

What ever he chooses to do he will probably get criticism - the wrong charity, the wrong amount.

I doubt if he will fully recover from what happened both personally and career-wise as there will probably be the stigma of 'no smoke without fire'. He has given a lot of people much pleasure and entertainment spanning 7 decades yet mainly kept his personal life private then suddenly it was made very public. 

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Luzern
Hero

@artmo@Mav Neither do I think he should be out of pocket and what he does with the money is his business, I was suggesting, not making demands.