cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cliff Richard Court Case

Community Veteran

Cliff Richard Court Case

Sir Cliff Richard has won his case against the BBC for invasion of his privacy.

He has been awarded £210,000

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44871799

He had already received £400,000 from South Yorkshire Police.

105 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Cliff Richard Court Case

Sir Cliff Richard is to make a statement later to give his view of the judgement.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

We'll my TV license is due end of this month.

So thanks Cliff enjoy my £150.50 Angry

Community Veteran

The BBC will be covered by insurance that will pick up this award.

It's a pity they don't have to pay it themselves as it may make them think twice before making another blunder.

Community Veteran

Typical insurance companies though - if you make claims then the premium goes up anyway.
So in effect we are all still paying.

Community Veteran

The BBC is considering appealing the verdict. It is being advised by a former chairman not to do so.

There is concern that the judgement could impede reporting of police investigations in the future.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Personally I think the BBC should carry on reporting police investigations. Most would have no objections to that.

It's just the police fishing expeditions that they need to stop "helping" with.

Kimberlin
Rising Star

Aren't the BBC also liable for picking up Sir Cliff's legal tab? It's rumoured his legal bill came to around £4 million.........

Community Veteran

Yes they are and if they appeal that could cost upwards of £2m.
Community Veteran

The BBC has been refused permission to appeal the judgement.

Judgement

The BBC have agreed to pay CR £850k as well as £515k to South Yorkshire Police. This is not the end of their costs. It is to be hoped they have learned a lesson.

Community Veteran

The BBC has decided not to appeal the decision in the privacy case, saying it feels the public would not be happy with the cost of the appeal.

Court Action

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion

So should the money be spent on a documentary on Cliff Richard's life, or just any old tosh to save us from yet another repeat at Christmas?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

I think the BBC should show "Summer Holiday" at least 4 times over Christmas... and pay the "royalties" to Sir Cliff, as a mark of "humility" for "getting it wrong"...

Who watches telly over crimbo, anyway ? ? ?  most people are doing much more interesting stuff,... like playing with the kids toys... ( pretending to show them how they work ! ! ! ).  Cheesy

. or scandalising others on twitter and facebook.

Shocked

Community Veteran

Great I’ve got to renew my TV License today, so that’s £150 down the toilet. What do I get out of it for eeermm.. Nothing.

So enjoy my £150.50 Cliff, I could do with the money more than you can.

Irony is the BBC started sending me renewal e-mails rather that by the post without me asking. For the money it costs me, you can send me standard mail notifications then save money for yourselves and pull the one companies do to wind you up when they go (oooh got to e-billing it helps saves the planet, which it doesn’t really). I would like the e-billing discount passed onto me should I choose it, but companies pull the reverse trick of forcing e-billing onto you by charging extra if you don’t. So rather the discount of not paying a lettering company lettering company, printing, postage and packing is passed on to me.

Anyway clearly shows how good their enforcement team are, other than making threats. They can’t force entry into your property without your consent (unless the courts get involved and they get a warrant) which they don’t appear have done with Noel Edmons so far?

Has anyone read and stories about him getting prosecuted. No neither have I.

Sorry got a bit on my soapbox there, and took the thread off topic, will try and calm down 😛
Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

It's not Sir Cliff's fault. He felt aggrieved against and the law agreed with him. He had every right to contest the actions of the BBC. In many cases people in the public eye give any compensation awarded to charity.

However this does highlight what I have always said. Fining large companies does nothing but put the burden on the customer in most cases.