Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Black Plastic Car Trim

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Cleaning Black Plastic Car Trim

Have we any car cleaning experts who can advise what is the best way and product to use on the black plastic trim below the windscreen and round the wheel arches

The plastic is not damaged just goes grey/white with rain marks

Thanks HD

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Cleaning Black Plastic Car Trim

@HelloDuck   Google is your friend...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=t5PfXryDL96SjLsPoe-R4Ac&q=plastic+car+trim+cleaner&oq=p...

there`s even some videos on you tube  ! ..

Have a nice day !

Smiley

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

I use this on cars and motorbikes - you can pay a lot more for a fancy name on the bottle but this is a black wax,  not just a clear silicone product.  You need to wear disposable gloves when using it,  if it gets on fingers it is difficult to get off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00427RUM8?tag=duc08-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I use pledge multisurface cleaner....silicon based.....spray on, leave a few minutes then give it a wipe...

A single spray can costs £1 from our Wilkinson’s store......

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Someone I used to work with used to clean his car paintwork with Mr Sheen not car wax

People used to ask him what he used because his car always had a good shine

HD

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Car waxes have UV screen in them to protect paint, I doubt Mr Sheen has anything except perfumed silicone..

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Back in the 90s, my dad would use a spray-on, wipe-off stuff called "Back to Black" on faded plastic trim (usually when he was about to sell a car!!), don't know if it's still around though, only reason I was reminded of it recently was HubNut on youtube and his new acquisition of a Mitsubishi Delica with some faded plastic bumpers up front... 😂

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Back to black is just a clear silicone fluid that works in the same way as wetting a stone brings out its colour, what is needed is a proper black wax with actual pigment in it and it leaves the surface proper black,  and the pigment protects the plastic from further UV damage..

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Probably because I'm such a cheapskate, on slightly discoloured rubbers on my old banger I simply used and brushed on black shoe polish. Looked and worked fine.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@wotsup wrote:

Car waxes have UV screen in them to protect paint, I doubt Mr Sheen has anything except perfumed silicone..

But having perfume is a added advantage.....as you can also use it on the inside of your car so no need for those expensive bits of cardboard impregnated with perfume.

And if you really want a posh car use it on your tyre walls....for a showroom finish.

😀😀

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Got to be careful what you use on plastic inside cars, especially on dash,  when they get hot the substance can evaporate and stick inside windows,  especially windscreen and cause fogginess that is hard to remove..

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@HelloDuck Shouldnt the header be BLACK TRIM MATTER !😂🤣

Highlighted
Community Veteran

That's something you couldn't say in certain mixed company in the states.😀

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@billnotben Youre probably right but too old to be pc....cant teach an old dog new tricks!!!Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Best product i've found so far is black spray paint from halfords. Matt or Satin.. both work equally well. Mask off the areas you don't want covered and then just go for it. No protective layer needed and i've got 5 years out of my handywork. Sure it's started to fade a bit now but it still looks far better than those who have to regularly use back to black or similar products. I don't think i even did 2 coats either, just the one.

Might cost a few quid more but it'll last so much longer. Didn't use a primer either - couldn't be bothered. Didn't sand it down, literally just sprayed on the paint and let it dry. Job done.

For comparison, I have two identical front bumpers - one from the vehicle, the other spare. Both looked the same before painted. Here's the result from a photo i took at the time:

screenshot_1093.jpg

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!