Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaner and greener?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Cleaner and greener?

This screenshot is from http://www.mygridgb.co.uk/dashboard/  this afternoon. The carbon figure is the instantaneous readout of CO2 per kWh generated. That's with about 50% generation from solar and wind, and a relatively low demand of 26GW. The dashboard is updated in real time.

mg.jpg

An average pure electric car consumes around 0.4kWh battery capacity per mile, so on that basis 151 x 0.4= 60.4 grams of CO2 being effectively "emitted" per mile if the car is charged up now. If it was charged earlier today the figure would have been about 100g of CO2 equivalent.

In the winter the national electricity demand is much higher, with coal, gas and imports being a lot higher than they are right now, and nothing like as much solar, if any, so the CO2 emitted figure is substantially higher. Add to that the fact that the battery won't last as long because the heating, lights, wipers etc will be in use.

The average small petrol car emits something like 110g CO2, and that's with careful driving. 

So, if you're thinking about getting an electric car and the salesman tells you they don't emit CO2, tell him he's right, but something else does. 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Cleaner and greener?

Conveniently ignoring all the CO2 produced getting the crude out the ground in the first place, refining it, and distributing it to forecourts etc etc....

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

My 5 door family petrol hatchback is rated to 107g/km.

EV's are not the way forward until clean electrical generation & the problem of mass EV charging is solved.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@DaveyH 

Similar for the mining, refining and transport of lithium, and making the batteries. 

Hey, I wasn't defending electric cars, just the opposite!

Highlighted
Champion

@nozzer wrote:

@DaveyH 

Hey, I wasn't defending electric cars, just the opposite!

That's precisely the point.

Sorry Nozzer, I usually have a lot of respect for you and your balanced and objective posts, that you usually back up with evidence. 

This isn't one of those posts!

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@DaveyH wrote:

That's precisely the point.

Sorry Nozzer, I usually have a lot of respect for you and your balanced and objective posts, that you usually back up with evidence. This isn't one of those posts.

Your being selective with the truth and frankly reads like you've just regurgitated Big Oil FUD coz it fits your view of EVs.

Well that's @nozzer told.

At least the censor wasn't called upon for a change!

Highlighted
Champion

Go crawl back under your bridge...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@DaveyH 

I'm slightly puzzled I have to say. It was a simple piece of arithmetic meant to dampen the hype that surrounds electric vehicles. No mention of other fuel pollutants or mining emissions deliberately so as to avoid an over complicated post. I actually found the mygrid dashboard the most interesting anyway. 

Turned out nice again!  Might rain later this week. 😁👍

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

If it rains, they can switch the hydroelectric back on.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."