cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean Licence or not.

Fixes: 47

Clean Licence or not.

It's still in beta but a handy source of info regarding your driving licence https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number
I'm clean Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
31 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Clean Licence or not.

Surely GCHQ have already done this for the government.
Why have a DIY link all your private information facility?Huh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

nil points - no prizes Sad
What does
Restriction codes
01 Eyesight Correction

mean? I've never worn glasses
Community Veteran

You have a full driving licence
Yes, but covering what?  Cheesy  Oops - just spotted the tabs?
I do have a full licence for 2 wheels as well as four!
Geoff,
York.
David_W
Rising Star

@journeys - it means check your licence.  If you have the new fangled plastic one, on the back under 12 you'll see your restriction codes, if you have 01 there it means you managed to get that restriction on your licence and could probably ask the DVLA to remove it (though I'd assume it to be a lot of hassle, if the cops pulled you just read a licence plate the correct distance away).  If you haven't got 01 there then you don't have the restriction and the web sight is wrong.
Fixes: 124

Is this site really necessary as, surely, all the info is already available the licence itself Wink
Of course errors can creep in after a licence has been issued but those will eventually be shown on the licence at renewal.
I'd rather the money spent be put to better use in reducing the licence fee.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

You can be given a licence at 17 and not renew it until you are 70.
I bet they hate that lack of revenue raising potential.

Fixes: 47

Quote from: Mav
Is this site really necessary as, surely, all the info is already available the licence itself Wink

I don't think points appear on the card licence and the stupid paper version is being phased out.
It's all part of the push to get everything online to better serve and inform the public.
Yes, I did say that Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I had to renew my licence recently. They demand that you send the old one back (It's expired so why? - not like its any use to anyone eh?).
Anyway knowing that the DVLA have got things wrong with other people (eg giving them the wrong categories or removing some) I somehow lost my licence and was forced to renew and tick the licence lost box.
I got my new licence through. Oddly a few days later my old one turned up  Shocked This then confirmed that I still had all the same entitlements. No idea how that happened.
@foxy: You have to renew the photocard every 10 years and yes they do charge for it. You old timers who don't have photocards do not have to renew - again the older generations get the perks and expect the younger ones to pay for it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

I don't think there be many of the old single paper license around as if you change address or have to replace then you will get the photo card license.
Edit: 7up many of the oldies probably had the red licences which had the renewed every 3 years
PowerLee
Rising Star

Quote from: 7up
@foxy: You have to renew the photocard every 10 years and yes they do charge for it. You old timers who don't have photocards do not have to renew - again the older generations get the perks and expect the younger ones to pay for it.

I've never paid for a photo card renewal yet, that is one of the benefits of a medically restricted licence, I just send them a new photo when they ask for one & get a new updated photo card FOC.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I didn't know that!
Since I've lived in the same house for 20 years & never received any points, I've never had any recent contact with the DVLA.  Smiley

Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
7up many of the oldies probably had the red licences which had the renewed every 3 years

This is true - I had quite a few renewals in my younger days.

It's only reasonable to allow a free renewal every 3 years. It can hardly be described as a perk, as it's there to facilitate people turning in their licences.
In any case, how many 10 year (paid) renewals do you think you would get after age 70?
Geoff,
York.
nadger
Rising Star

Don't need to look mine up as I know it's been clean since I first got provisional 57 years ago  Smiley
I did keep paper licence up to age 70 at which age 3 year photo licence became compulsory.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: journeys
What does
Restriction codes
01 Eyesight Correction

mean? I've never worn glasses

It's registered on your license that you either need glasses/contact lenses (etc) to have the required vision to be able to drive.
I had it on mine (when I had it).
Got to re-apply next month, I had an isolated seizure 3 months ago which meant I had to hand mine back Cry