cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classical pop!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Classical pop!!

If you're of a musical leaning and, many are in this forum. Here's a fascinating site. http://www.allegro.philharmonic.me.uk/ That lists many "pop" music titles and the original classical music they were derived from.
Only found it since I was idly twanging away on the ole' gitar and found myself having a "senior moment" and playing "In the Hall of the Mountain King" (Grieg) a minor instrumental hit in the 60's (that I actually remember learning right at the beginning of my musical "career") and decided to see if there was any info on the web...
I seem to recall there were many others including; "Saturday night at the Duck Pond" which was derived from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. But, I knew that before seeing it on the site.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Classical pop!!

Now there's an interesting site Petlew.  I'm not a great classical music lover but the first on your list is one of my favourites - Borodin's Polovtsian Dances. Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

Just searched through my CDs to find Classically Sedaka. Neil Sedaka made this around 1995 and is along the same lines as your original post - classical music with modern lyrics. 
Classically Sedaka
thejudge
Grafter

Kraftwerk's Tour De France (1983) takes its melody (uncredited) from the opening of Paul Hindemith's Sonata For Flute And Piano of 1936:

-kw8>
-kw8
v.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One interesting tab in the OP web site is No1 albums. Notice how many of "The Black and White Minstrels" there were in the 70's!!
Remember them?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

My parents would never miss their show when they were n TV.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and then political madness ruled - end of the show
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I'm as much against PC as anyone, but come on, the B&W Minstrels was an embarrassment even when still on the air.
Not young enough to know everything