cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class war 'petty'?

N/A

Class war 'petty'?

David Cameron, I understand, is not too happy about Gordon Brown's disparaging remarks in respect of his Eton background.
Bearing in mind that a high percentage of our politicians past and present have been reared in an elitist background, with many also having a law degree, just wondered what people thought?
I am not sure that someone like Mr Cameron can ever really understand what it is like to be an ordinary citizen with the trials and tribulations of trying to make ends meet, bringing up a family and trying to make something of yourself. Also trying to get along with people who are often your (very) close neighbours?
Personally, I think that GB has a point.
6 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Class war 'petty'?

Who's Who
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Cameron may well be annoyed, but at least he didn't rise to the bait and point out the educational background of the present cabinet. So full marks for restraint there then. At least however Cameron is elected to his position, something I'm sure he could use as ammunition but chooses not to (possibly as it might in principle at least backfire on him at a later date I suppose)
Oh yes, Brown's schooling could hardly be described as "sink"
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

We don't vote for the leader of Her Majesties Loyal Oposition either, yet if you are a Tory supporter - you had to put up with several leaders who left the Tory party in the wilderness for years..
HM  opposition fulfil an important function in UK governance, holding the government to account on behalf of all citizens. For several years the Lib-Dems were a much more affective opposition.
Hague, Duncan Smith were pretty pathetic at doing that in my view, and Howard wasn't brilliant. At least Cameron has made a real  impact.
We aren't a presidency in the UK - despite what some might believe ( Blair ! ? )
But I do agree that it might be sensible if we ever get a constitution that it said something like, "If the governing party has a change of leader, the there shall be a general election with - 12, 18, 24 months ?.
But on topic, yes we still have a class war in this country IMHO - and the middle , upper classes aren't restricted to the Tory party of course - despite what their policies may be.

nadger
Rising Star

One could hardly say that Blair came from a poor background but Brown wouldn't have commented back then. Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Blair could hardly be described as coming from upper class - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_blair
Community Veteran

There was an interesting survey in todays Sunday Times.
Can't find the link right now, but it wasn't good news for upper-class politicians.